Fitness and Exercise Quesiton - Weighing...

FutureBright

Hi, thought I would try here before signing up to some fitness forum to ask one question...

Does anyone know why it is not recommended to weigh yourself shortly after exercise?

A personal trainer at my gym told me not to last week but when I asked why, she didn't know. Seems to be a bit of a "I know that you shouldn't, but I don't really know why you shouldn't".

I weigh myself at the same point every day I go to the gym. After I have been up in the gym and before get into the pool. That way, I am always wearing the same clothing. Is that really a bad thing?!

Thanks in advance!

Maybe because you've sweated a load of water out and haven't replaced it, so once you leave the gym and drink a litre and a half of water the reading will be a bit off. It's not likely to make any huge difference but you might want to weigh yourself before you go into the gym if you're monitoring progress to the last gram.

A bit like fancy running shoes, everyone says that you need to spend £90 on some gucci shoes but nobody can give you a good reason why.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really monitoring it that much, its more that I find it interesting to be honest, as weird as that sounds....

Weight loss isn't my aim whilst at the gym, so I'm not too fussed but when she couldn't answer it just got me pondering

I have that kind of brain

:new_shades:

Water loss and retention.

Immediately after exercise if you're anything like me you've lost anywhere upto 2 kilos I am liquid. When you start to replenish your expanded muscles will take on more water than you usually hold. So in the space of 45 mins you can vary by (personally) upto five kilos.

It might be more or less depending on your physiology.

Water loss and retention.

Immediately after exercise if you're anything like me you've lost anywhere upto 2 kilos I am liquid. When you start to replenish your expanded muscles will take on more water than you usually hold. So in the space of 45 mins you can vary by (personally) upto five kilos.

It might be more or less depending on your physiology.

Yeah but not everyone goes and has a big mac after they work out :p

• Like 1

I drink a lot of fluid when I train as it's all high intensity cardio and running. But that's probably it. Interestingly though, I don't weigh more after a swim, I would have thought I'd be. Sponge hahaha.

Cheers for the input guys!

A bit like fancy running shoes, everyone says that you need to spend £90 on some gucci shoes but nobody can give you a good reason why.

If you don't buy the right type of shoes with the right type of cushioning and/or support for your physiology you end up with injuries and it can hurt. lots. trust me!

I'm sure you can end up with injuries, but more from pushing yourself too far too soon than your brand of trainers. Call me a sceptic but people have been running round for thousands of years barefoot or in very rough footwear without being permanently crippled, yet lower-limb injuries such as shin splints and stress fractures all seem to be primarily first world complaints and happen to people who are quite new to spending a lot of time on their feet.

I'm not criticising anyone for spending money on their hobby at all, but not least from my own experience I'm far from convinced that cheap shoes automatically equals debilitating injury and I'm inclined to take what the companies who sell shoes for a living tell me with a pinch of salt.