Car Reg Advice

MikeAlphaRomeoTango

Hi All,

Long winded story but here goes,

About 4 weeks ago I brought a new car (62 plate) filled out the V5 form and all sent off. Today get a urgent phone call of the garage that sold it me (well known garage, 100 or so showrooms) saying they have fitted the wrong reg to my car, its off by the last digit.

So ok, had a go at them saying technically ive not been insured for the past 4 weeks etc etc, so now, I have the correct reg on my car.

Ok, they say the car's V5 log book is on its way to them and they will fill it out and send off to the DVLA. Meanwhile ive rang the DVLA saying I no longer own the old plate and I don't want any come back to it (I don't have the V5 yet of the old reg, its still on its way to me) so they tell me Oh, well we're only an advice line, we cant actually do anything like that (!?!?!?!?!!!!) He said just fax us a cover letter saying the story and it'll be fine, ok I don't have a fax, I live in 2013! lol

So, now I have a car on the drive which technically im not registered to (yet) and someone has my reg who could be accruing points! Its been a long day...I need a lie down lol

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeAlphaRomeoTango

• Dave SYP

• wanabe

• Jellybean

Sale of Goods Act - Return it for a full refund?

Hi All,

Long winded story but here goes,

About 4 weeks ago I brought a new car (62 plate) filled out the V5 form and all sent off. Today get a urgent phone call of the garage that sold it me (well known garage, 100 or so showrooms) saying they have fitted the wrong reg to my car, its off by the last digit.

So ok, had a go at them saying technically ive not been insured for the past 4 weeks etc etc, so now, I have the correct reg on my car.

Ok, they say the car's V5 log book is on its way to them and they will fill it out and send off to the DVLA. Meanwhile ive rang the DVLA saying I no longer own the old plate and I don't want any come back to it (I don't have the V5 yet of the old reg, its still on its way to me) so they tell me Oh, well we're only an advice line, we cant actually do anything like that (!?!?!?!?!!!!) He said just fax us a cover letter saying the story and it'll be fine, ok I don't have a fax, I live in 2013! lol

So, now I have a car on the drive which technically im not registered to (yet) and someone has my reg who could be accruing points! Its been a long day...I need a lie down lol

How would you not be insured for 4 weeks? Did you give them the correct registration that has been on the car for the last 4 weeks? Is the registration document wrong as well?

DVLA will not just do things like swap registrations etc on the phone.. and quite rightly so.

Is the Road Tax disc for the correct VRM or the wrong VRM?

I don't really wanna go down that road, it's a really nice car just someone has cocked up down the line somewhere (why were they changing the plates I ask myself) but am I legally allowed to drive it seeing as though its not registered to me yet...

As long as you have notified your insurer of this situation, I don't see any reason why you can't drive the car but obviously I can't be sure I'm 100% correct!

I am sure one of our Black Rat colleagues will be along soon to advise, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't drive it on a road without the correct VRM displayed.

Edited by Dave SYP

Well, the car now does have its correct VRM and the police would of never suspected anything because the old plate was the same make, model, colour etc

Just imagine if its registered to a Mrs Smith and they see me driving, it will all be sorted in a few weeks when the new V5 turns up and ive sent back the now wrong V5.

How would you not be insured for 4 weeks?

Did you give them the correct registration that has been on the car for the last 4 weeks?

Is the registration document wrong as well?

Is the Road Tax disc for the correct VRM or the wrong VRM?

I was thinking because the car isn't actually the right VRM then it wont be insured, because AB1 CD2 isn't the right reg for that car. therefore insurance would be void.

Yes, because I didn't know otherwise until today

I don't know because that hasn't come back from the DVLA yet.

It did had the right VRM at the time but now the reg on the car is the correct one, the tax has been changed to.

So has your 'real' reg been on another car? I'm guessing the wrong reg that is on you car is for a car of the exact make and model as when you got insurance you had to type or say the reg and it came as the same as your car?

So has your 'real' reg been on another car? I'm guessing the wrong reg that is on you car is for a car of the exact make and model as when you got insurance you had to type or say the reg and it came as the same as your car?

Yes, exactly that. Its the same make, model, engine size, colour etc, because when she said its a "So and So Car" I Was like yup! That's it...looking on the dvla website the one says colour Grey (Old one) and the new one says colour Silver

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MikeAlphaRomeoTango" data-cid="2409485" data-time="1365097869"><p>

<br />

I was thinking because the car isn't actually the right VRM then it wont be insured, because AB1 CD2 isn't the right reg for that car. therefore insurance would be void.<br />

Yes, because I didn't know otherwise until today<br />

I don't know because that hasn't come back from the DVLA yet.<br />

It did had the right VRM at the time but now the reg on the car is the correct one, the tax has been changed to.</p></blockquote>

If you phoned your insurer, I would be confident that most of not all would have covered you for any accident regardless if this admin issue. The risk is not any different.

Yeah I'm always insured just wanted to check, turns out this new reg after going an RAC check has outstanding finance on it! So phone call to the finance company tomorrow to see if it does have anything outstanding. Shouldn't have to do this, brought the car from one of the biggest car supermarkets in the UK...guessy game starts now! Go! :)

• Global Moderators

Money off/refunds should begin now IMO...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MikeAlphaRomeoTango" data-cid="2409572" data-time="1365102947"><p>

Yeah I'm always insured just wanted to check, turns out this new reg after going an RAC check has outstanding finance on it! So phone call to the finance company tomorrow to see if it does have anything outstanding. Shouldn't have to do this, brought the car from one of the biggest car supermarkets in the UK...guessy game starts now! Go! :)</p></blockquote>

So does that mean its been on wrong plates since it was originally registered? A couple of years ago my friend bought a car from a Seat dealership and they somehow messed it up where they sold another car on the same plates. My friend was getting speeding tickets from places that he never visited. He originally thought he had had his plates cloned. After contacting the police and following an investigation turns out it was an admin error from seat.

• Like 1

Funnily enough it's a seat car....:/