Is it legal to sell an old starting pistol

captain custard

My father has a Starting Pistol of German manufacture,he wants to know if he has to hand it in or is it legal to sell it.As it is probably between 50-70 years old it is not a brightly coloured one but all black.

ring up your licencing department of your local police force and ask them

If you do not have a licence, then it is probably illegal for you to own.

By the way, this isnt a legal drop in centre :)

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas. Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Moved to help me.

You certainly can't sell it legally - if you want rid of it destroy it or get the police to come and take it away. Without looking at the weapon I can't tell you if it's definitely legal or not, but if it's a made starter pistol with no barrel or an obstructed barrel and is not capable of discharging any missile it's unlikely to be prohibited within your own home - if it's a conversion things get murkier. It will be illegal to possess in public without a reasonable excuse. If you want concrete advice from experts ring BASC who will likely know the answer.

• Like 1

Looks like he can sell it to someone who has an exemption to buy one, contact your local FEO for clarification.

Firearms that are over 100 years old and have been decommissioned from use are classified as antiques and are legal to sell and display as an ornament. However, there is a trend to 'recreate' an antique firearm so rifles, pistols etc that may look over 100 years old may only be 5 or 10 years old.

You could give it to someone who already possess a licence to hold onto firearms for you (such as a shooting club or 'gun' shop) then you can apply for a licence to keep it you want. You will have to decommission the working parts and weld the magazine holder or barrel shut.

Failing all the above a simple 101 call to the police and ask to have an Firearms officer to pop round to clarify the firearm for you. They will remove the weapon on your behalf if you are not permitted to have it.

If you have to transport it to a police station to have it checked, I'd recommend calling 101 and having a cad created so you can reference it if stopped on your way.

Or CHS number, which may be more appropriate

go online and find your nearest RFD (gunshop) and contact them, they might be willing to buy it my local gun shop has a small section of collectible items for sale(older air guns etc)- doing it this way A. you might make a nice little profit B. it should be legal