Driving Lessons

Shikari

Hey guys,

I've decided to have another go at my test, it'd just make my life so much easier. I took it (failed, evidently) about a year and a half ago just before I came to uni and haven't driven since. Any advice on choosing an instructor? Should I go for a large company i.e. RED etc. or a smaller/self-employed instructor. I live in the Stoke on Trent area if it helps at all.

Cheers,

Edited by Shikari

I would go on reccomendations, not just price

or

Take your test in north scotland (go on holiday for a week) and if you can drive at 60 on country roads, youve passed ;)

I went with a local instructor based on recommendations. Turned out to be the best choice. I passed with 1 minor after 24 hours of lessons. Brilliant instructor and decent pricing too. So I would go with what you hear locally. Ask friends etc who they were with and how they got on.

I'd say go with a local company. The AA, Red etc, are all really just franchised anyway. Not all ADIs pass at the same standard, when they pass to become instructors they are given a level, 4 is the lowest pass and 6 is the highest, so look for one who passed at level 5 or 6 ideally.

Why not just ask them if they have been police driving instructors. The driving instructors in the MPS are at the forefront of adult learning and development <not a plug much>. Roadcraft is a worthy but dull read and also have a look at the instructional videos by Chris Gilbert - he is an ex Job driving instructor

I think it depends very much on the individual so as above, recommendations could be the way to go if you know locals who've been learning.

I went to a big company and had a really good instructor but a friend of a friend had a different instructor with the same company who apparently wasn't very good at all.

Indeed as people have said its more about the instructor than the company.

I was very lucky many years ago when I learnt in that I found a great instructor and as such passed first time, as he made sure his teaching technique worked well with my learning technique.

Also, look beyond the price. My driving instructor was £19 way back in 2005 however he'd been teaching for over 40 years, had an excellent local rep and was brilliant. Also, never feel bad about moving instructors - what's good for one person may not suit another.

I went with BSM (RAC). They had a decent offer on at the time. My instructor was good. Although he went private just as I passed and business isn't too good for him anymore.

Deciding which driving school wasn't a problem for me, I was taught to drive in the RMP. An hour before my test, nervous as hell so my instructor took me on the police skid pan. Done the trick, passed first time. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ask your forces Driver Training Dept. if there is anyone they could recomend.