Forums

ted123

I've started a community forum of my own and was wondering as forum users, what made you want to create an account here? What made you want to make posts and keep coming back?

Creating an atmosphere in a forum is particularly hard because nobody will take the first step and I believe that is a biggest contributing factor to any successful forum. Would you post in an empty forum?

What can I do to help drive relevant traffic to my forum? Any suggestions?

I've thought of creating a false community to begin with. 10 or so accounts to create posts to spark people's interest.

Depends what your forum is about.

But I'd not create a "false community" - the Police are all about delivering honesty. Without honesty, Police (of all forces) would metaphorically shoot themselves in the foot.

In answer to your question, I'd say that the majority of people on here are either Specials, Regs or wanting to be either.

What is your forum about?

Edited by Pablo Montoya

I have ran many forums in the past about various topics, it really depends on what your forum is about, you need to target the right sort of people, You'll find the people who are interested will post and regularly visit, however it can be tough, in order to get and keep a population of people you need a population of people, Marketing is key to the success, do some research, find areas on the web relevant to the sort of things your forum is about and pursue advertising there (with permission ofcourse), try to spark interest with regular posts by yourself initiating response and debate with others, there is nothing worse than a static site that offers no interest once visited once, it is harder than people first imagine, but with hard work it will pay off.

It's a community forum for the county of Somerset. I am a moderator for the Somerset facebook page which has 28000 likes and I've used it to try and drive people there, but they are reluctant to create an account and make posts.

The forum is only a section of a website which these people complained they wanted so they could advertise their businesses and find jobs etc. Now it's here nobody wants to use it :(

Edited by ted123

Running many forums myself I believe it all about the content and once that content is there it then about building that "communtiy" - in a way making friends.

I used to run graphic websites/forums and currenly help run/Admin a car enthusiasts forum.

If you are looking for infomation bet a bottom dollar that someone else out there is looking for it to, hence why forums are around!

I agree Dean. That's why I think it would be best to create several accounts to post content so people can see others are using the forum and that might prompt them to make an account themselves

I agree Dean. That's why I think it would be best to create several accounts to post content so people can see others are using the forum and that might prompt them to make an account themselves

You need a small number of key people who will start the ball rolling, once you've got that initial inertia, people will feel a sense of community and join. You can't do that yourself.

I know Burnsy. If it were easy to find said group I would have done it already. My beta testers barely contributed :( I need to find a better team but it's hard to find people who are interested and wouldnt mind giving up some of their time :/

I know Burnsy. If it were easy to find said group I would have done it already. My beta testers barely contributed :( I need to find a better team but it's hard to find people who are interested and wouldnt mind giving up some of their time :/

Indeed. Running online forums isn't easy.

Advertising on other forums always worked for me or word of mouth.