Facebook Privacy Settings

TheSwift

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I really need help. I have to make it so that no random people can see anything on my profile. I need to put the privacy settings to the strictest you can have.

Any ideas how to do this, I have spend hours trying to work it out but can't seem to work out how to do it!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bravo Sierra

• TheSwift

• Akarki

• General Purpose

Sensible Idea. On your facebook there should be an option called (settings) where you block people and deactivate.There should be an option called privacy settings. You can manage who views your account from there. If you are really worried about any content on facebook, then its worth having a trawl through your account and get rid of pictures and posts from your past that make you cringe. I thought my facebook was angelic untill I went back to 2010 and realised what an arrogant little madam I sounded like back then :( Also a slight deviation in your facebook name should hinder any undesirables trying to look in. For example, Add the initials from your middle name etc.

I was confused because my settings seemed to be fine. I then clicked 'limit past posts' and its aplied all the privacy settings to everything on my timeline. Now when I view my timeline as the 'public' all you can see is my name, profile photo and cover photos. I think that should be fine :new_sweat:

I was confused because my settings seemed to be fine. I then clicked 'limit past posts' and its aplied all the privacy settings to everything on my timeline. Now when I view my timeline as the 'public' all you can see is my name, profile photo and cover photos. I think that should be fine :new_sweat:

• Like 1

Sounds all good! On the off chance you're a Twitter user as well, may be worth making that private depending on how you use it! If not just ignore me.

• Like 1

Just to raise a point, your force will be able to see what is on your Facebook anyway and probably already have. If I were you, I'd change your name completely on there and your E-mail. That way there is no link, whatsoever, been you and your force.

Quite a common thing to do for officers and staff.

Just to raise a point, your force will be able to see what is on your Facebook anyway and probably already have.

No they can't.

Look at the RIPA statute along with the DPA.

No they can't.

Look at the RIPA statute along with the DPA.

They do and I know they do. I've seen officers have Facebook posts put to them.

I've seen officers have Facebook posts put to them.

They should be more careful with the friends they pick

They should be more careful with the friends they pick

Didn't say it weren't their friends, did I.

Didn't say it weren't their friends, did I.

I don't understand the logic behind changing your name and email address on facebook. It's completely unnecessary if the privacy settings are strict enough and you pick people on your friendlist carefully enough

Edited by Akarki

I don't understand the logic behind changing your name and email address on facebook. It's completely unnecessary if the privacy settings are strict enough and you pick people on your friendlist carefully enough
Youre right there is no real logic to it. Just the fact that some people could have a look at your profile pic doesnt sit well with some people. Ive played with my name to be on the safe side as well as having the strictest privacy settings probably unessacry but makes me feel safer in the long run :)

Youre right there is no real logic to it. Just the fact that some people could have a look at your profile pic doesnt sit well with some people. Ive played with my name to be on the safe side as well as having the strictest privacy settings probably unessacry but makes me feel safer in the long run :)

I very rarely use my own photo as my profile photo, currently it's of my favourite rugby player. I won't change my name though but have always had the strictest privacy settings - except for some of my interests: some people find me through my hobbies since they can't identify me through a photo so it shows my favourite sports and athletes for example. Nothing personal there.

I understand being private, I'm the same, but all the trouble I have seen with facebook usually would come from 'friends' having access to info rather than anything more sinister.

Why? If you have a unique name, like some officers & staff I know, some nominals will try and find you on Facebook to discredit you, same as if you're involved with high-profile jobs, the media deploy this tactic quite reguarlly as a 'scoping' exercise. You'll find the high up the ranks you go less and less people are using Facebook and Social Media through fear of reprisals. Also if you have someone's Facebook there are ways of getting their E-mail address. If you know how to, and it doesn't take many brains to do it, you can also reset all of their passwords and gain other details.

By changing your name you are removing any possible links between you, friends and the job and making you less of a threat to the organisation and your career.

Whilst you can limit what people see on your Facebook if the sit resets itself, like it did do a few months ago, those settings are wiped out and the only way you know is if Facebook tell you or a friends comments on a post they shouldn't be able to see.

Why? If you have a unique name, like some officers & staff I know, some nominals will try and find you on Facebook to discredit you, same as if you're involved with high-profile jobs, the media deploy this tactic quite reguarlly as a 'scoping' exercise. You'll find the high up the ranks you go less and less people are using Facebook and Social Media through fear of reprisals. Also if you have someone's Facebook there are ways of getting their E-mail address. If you know how to, and it doesn't take many brains to do it, you can also reset all of their passwords and gain other details. By changing your name you are removing any possible links between you, friends and the job and making you less of a threat to the organisation and your career. Whilst you can limit what people see on your Facebook if the sit resets itself, like it did do a few months ago, those settings are wiped out and the only way you know is if Facebook tell you or a friends comments on a post they shouldn't be able to see.

True say. My first thought when I changed my name was if i was involved in something news worthy when i finish training or some defence solicitor is getting desperate they might try and have a look. I'm not technically minded which is why I thought high privacy settings would do the trick.