Win8 - prints take an AGE to come off

Javioli

Hi all - my Mrs has a new Dell desktop (Intel Core i5, 4Gb, Win8 64-bit) and it is PAINFUL when printing (HP DeskJet D2600). On her previous WinXP PC the printer behaved impeccably.

So on Win8, I'm trying to print a 2 page document (only small, 57k according to the print manager) and it's been in the queue for 25 minutes now and not a peep from the printer.

I have installed the latest HP driver suite for Win8 so I know the drivers are up to date. And the HP software reports that the printer is ready and it reports the ink levels okay.

Anyway, I got stick of waiting after 25 minutes now and I tried deleting the job in the queue, then I tried stopping and starting the print spooler service and printing a test page; the test page took 3 minutes to print.

Any ideas WHY ???

What sort of printer is it? Also, try printing a test page through Control Panel > Devices & Printers > Right click printer > Printer Properties (I think it's the same on 8).

Edited by fruitandveg

I think your prints come off when you're 100 years and deemed not a threat to the monitor anymore.

(HP DeskJet D2600)
What sort of printer is it?
then I tried stopping and starting the print spooler service and printing a test page
Also, try printing a test page through Control Panel
Observation skills taken a day off, have they? :w00t:

Oh Damsel you are funny sometimes.

haha jk. Um if you're printing using wireless, try connecting the cable and see if it improves speed? As you're likely to know if the printer says ready it hasn't yet received a document so you can cancel out any problem with the printer as eventually it will receive them so it is definitely connecting and such. It has to be a problem with your software sending a print request. Although you've tried a test page, try printing from a range of programs including Microsoft Word, Adobe Reader and your browser. See if there are quicker requests sent. Also try different types of media including just text, just an image or text and image and see if it sends faster. Like I say it has to be a data sending problem from your computer and if using wireless it might be being blocked/checked by a firewall possibly. It's a tricky one to troubleshoot.

If all else fails...hit it.

Edited by ted123

Damsel replied on my behalf :)

"It's connected via USB" is the only thing I missed, sorry.

Printing from a range of software and a mix of types gives the same results. I'm really stuck.