Windows 8 / Broadband

cfnbryn

Hello all...

I have been trying to sort out my mother-in-laws new laptops today. Both are brand new and are on Windows 8 and we are having major problems trying to use the Internet. We have managed to finally get Google Chrome on by downloading it onto my laptop and using a memory stick to transfer it as the Internet on both laptops was too slow to download it.

If I access a website on my laptop which is windows 7, it loads immediately. If I try it on either windows 8 laptop, and on any browser it takes forever; an opening a PDF online takes hours.

I have managed to make it faster by fiddling with the power saving settings, which decides to minimise performance when not plugged in.

Anyone able to advise me on what to do or how to fix it... And as simply as possible? When I ask google it assumes I'm a technical expert.

Erm, this is an odd one...

I can only assume some of the drivers might not be supported by Windows 8? (maybe?) Have you tried using the Windows Update tool?

or it either might be an issue with your broadband, sometimes sharing a connection can slow one connection down if you get what I mean... You might need to have a chat with your ISP (Internet Service Provider)

You can also try and turning off the Modem / Router for 30 seconds and then turning it back on, sounds basic but sometimes it actually does fix the problem!

What's the make and model of the laptops? :)

in addition to what Knight said, make sure they're connected to your network and haven't decided to connect to a neighbours insecure wireless network.

We have tried the laptops at my mother in laws house with her BT broadband, at my house with TalkTalk broadband and at the university where she works and there is no difference in speed at any of these locations.

Both laptops came with Windows 8 so the drivers on them should all be compatible with windows 8. I have updated both using the widows update and nothing has changed.

One is a Compaq and the other a Sony Vaio. I'm not too sure of the exact models as they are no longer in front of me.

Might not be related but mine use to do this with windows 7 at school on their network.

In the internet settings, where all the IP tools are, check to see if they're set to automatically gather the details. There's often another option and mine use to wait ages to try gather the details. As soon as it was on auto, it was fine.

Worth a try

It might be worth trying to connect them to the router with a network cable and turning the WiFi off, that'd at least see if it's a WiFi issue or a more general networking problem.

Might not be related but mine use to do this with windows 7 at school on their network.

In the internet settings, where all the IP tools are, check to see if they're set to automatically gather the details. There's often another option and mine use to wait ages to try gather the details. As soon as it was on auto, it was fine.

Worth a try

Yeah this is worth a try. Also disable any anti virus or firewall you may have running on the slow one and see what happens.

• 1 month later...
We have tried the laptops at my mother in laws house with her BT broadband, at my house with TalkTalk broadband and at the university where she works and there is no difference in speed at any of these locations. Both laptops came with Windows 8 so the drivers on them should all be compatible with windows 8. I have updated both using the widows update and nothing has changed. One is a Compaq and the other a Sony Vaio. I'm not too sure of the exact models as they are no longer in front of me.

With the Sony you need to uninstall MacAfee (unless you are using it) then hold windows key and R on your keyboard and type in msconfig into the run box, look on the services tab and unitck anything with MacAfee next to it, then click on ok and restart the machine.

We have tried the laptops at my mother in laws house with her BT broadband, at my house with TalkTalk broadband and at the university where she works and there is no difference in speed at any of these locations. Both laptops came with Windows 8 so the drivers on them should all be compatible with windows 8. I have updated both using the widows update and nothing has changed. One is a Compaq and the other a Sony Vaio. I'm not too sure of the exact models as they are no longer in front of me.

With the Sony you need to uninstall MacAfee (unless you are using it) then hold windows key and R on your keyboard and type in msconfig into the run box, look on the services tab and unitck anything with MacAfee next to it, then click on ok and restart the machine.

Its highly unlikely that its anything to do with windows 8..

For myself and many others its generally faster than 7

Its highly unlikely that its anything to do with windows 8..

For myself and many others its generally faster than 7

Windows 8 is awful! I think Im going to be sticking to windows 7 like a lot did XP, that or learn how to use Linux!

After checking a few forums from people with similar problems, you have the usual checking your router, the anti virus etc,

but one person claims success with going to the manufacturers website downloading the windows 7 drivers for your network card and running setup.exe in compatibility (for windows 7) mode

Windows 8 is awful! I think Im going to be sticking to windows 7 like a lot did XP, that or learn how to use Linux!

After checking a few forums from people with similar problems, you have the usual checking your router, the anti virus etc,

but one person claims success with going to the manufacturers website downloading the windows 7 drivers for your network card and running setup.exe in compatibility (for windows 7) mode

Windows 8 isn't that bad. If you ignore the 12%, 13% and 15% update issues. Oh and the freezes while restarting, and the apps not working oh and

the abundance of F8. Other than that it's fine :)