Land Rover 90s/Defenders

Jeebs1546081084

I'm looking at buying a Land Rover 90/Defender at the moment ("oh god why?" I hear you scream) and I'm in need of a bit of help really.

I'm not sure if I should go for a 300TDi or a TD 5 model. I'm leaning towards a newer TD 5 because of the potential to push it towards (and over) 200bhp with the right mods and a bit of cash, but the 300TDi is far more reliable aparantly and can be fixed with a big hammer and a wrench.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of either engines and their reliability as well as a few buying tips? For example, when's the best time to buy? I'm guessing probably not winter.

I know what I'm looking for body and chassis wise in terms of rust, wear and damage but I'm not as confident with the mechanics.

If anyone knows of good dealers or garages I would much obliged if you could point me in their direction.

if you wanna take it wading, youll need to move the TD5's ECU, as it'll get a little drowned and give up!!

I have fettled in the past with a few Landies, nothing major, but personally i prefer the 300TDI, you can run it on WVO, tweak the fuel pump and turbo yourself, and as you say, fix almost anything on it yourself! The TD5 although still fairly good at being a hammer and chisel style of repair, will require you need a lot more diagnostic equipment.

Is it just for a toy or a daily?? As if its a daily with a bit of greenlaning and not a lot of serious playing off road/in water, then the TD5 May be better for you.

I strongly suggest having a browse on www.landyzone.co.uk, they are a great bunch on there, and providing you can survive the usual newbie ribbing, you'll find out a hell of a lot of information!!

The 200TDi is a good engine too, far less electrickery than the 300, depending on the age of the vehicle I'd go for a 200 rather than a 300.

Whacking up the BHP does cause issues with things like half-shafts (they can snap like twigs) so make sure sure you research the drive-train pitfalls before you start pimping the engine.

I will be running it as my every day as well as taking it down the lanes/off road when I get the chance. I do drive quite a lot on the motorway and the TD5 is a better cruiser from what I can gather, and a little more refined, although that's not really a concern for me based on what I currently drive.

A proper wading kit, snorkel and ECU (if required) relocation are on the list for whatever I end up with to be honest so it's not a major worry.

I am however looking to get as much power out of it as I can without making the jump to a v8 conversion, while maintaining a reasonable level of economy. The TD5 seems to have a lot more potential, but like I said I don't know much about the 300TDi or DIY performance work.

if your after power a TD5 would probably be easier, upgrade the turbo, intercooler, exhaust system, custom map, and youll get yourself a nice little 4x4 toy!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="tdcist" data-cid="2355641" data-time="1356807235"><p>

if your after power a TD5 would probably be easier, upgrade the turbo, intercooler, exhaust system, custom map, and youll get yourself a nice little 4x4 toy!</p></blockquote>

I'm not power mad, but having test driven both the TD5 and 300TDi I felt there was something missing. As it will be the only thing I drive a little more poke wouldn't go a miss :D

I can't really find an alternative 4x4 that takes my fancy quite as much, without looking like a scrap merchant. Although for the money I may end up spending im sure there are loads out there! Any suggestions?

Discovery... Youll get a newer, comfier, and just as capable off roader for the same money...

I don't think the insurance would be as reasonable, I'm getting quotes of £600-800 on a Defender which for a relatively new and young driver isn't bad. I can't stand the old shape disco and the new is too expensive for me.

I quess it's a case of wait and see what comes along in the new year.