Security of bank transfers

I99

I pay most of my bills by direct debit and since the withdrawal of cheque guarantee cards I no longer have a cheque book. If I make a payment into somebody elses account (not a business) can they see my sort code and/or account number?

I'm slightly concerned, perhaps pointlessly, that such details will be revealed - I'd prefer to be able to type in my name (as the payer) so that that's all they (the payee) can see.

For me it just comes up with the Account Name - nothing else.

So for example if you were to make a payment to me would my statement show a payment received from "mcscotland" or do you input the account name e.g. "Anybody McDonald"?

For me I have an account name attached to the Account, just depends what that is! Mine is not my straight name, it's a collection of my name but phrased in a different way.

For me I have an account name attached to the Account, just depends what that is! Mine is not my straight name, it's a collection of my name but phrased in a different way.

Cool, thanks for that.

I shall see if my bank offers me that capability.

But surely, the payee wouldn't be able to see any more detail (maybe even less) than is revealed on a cheque.

If I send someone a cheque, they have...

My Bank name.

The branch address.

The branch sort code.

My account number.

My full account name

An idea of how many cheques I've written (ever)

And then probably my postal address as well just for good measure.

If I pay them electronically, they might have my account name, sort code and account number, but all they can really do with that is pay money in :)

• Like 1

But surely, the payee wouldn't be able to see any more detail (maybe even less) than is revealed on a cheque.

If I send someone a cheque, they have...

My Bank name.

The branch address.

The branch sort code.

My account number.

My full account name

An idea of how many cheques I've written (ever)

And then probably my postal address as well just for good measure.

If I pay them electronically, they might have my account name, sort code and account number, but all they can really do with that is pay money in :)

Exactly!

I do everything by BACS.

When people pay me via BACS, the only info i can see online is their name, and a reference if they want to put one. That's it, nowt else!

BACS over a cheque any day!

If I make a payment into somebody elses account (not a business) can they see my sort code and/or account number?

You don't see anything extra than you would with a personal account.

Edited by pmtts