Wordpress - or equivalent?

G.Retriever

Hello,

I am relatively new to the website building scene.

I have designed (on paper) a website which is essentially a platform for bloggers. The landing page will be an introduction and explanation about the site.

There will be a directory of establishments on one side which you can select from to find the relevant one for you.

Once inside there you will be able to view the blog of the person representing that establishment.

My question is this:

Can I create a website (with Wordpress?) in such a way that I can give permissions to someone to be able to access their particular segment of the website so they can update their blog/ area without having access to the entire site or requiring my personal logins?

A subsidiary questions is this:

IF not wordpress, can someone suggest to me a more suitable tool to use to create a webpage to incorporate the above?

Thanks!

G.R

ps. PM me if you prefer!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darth Maul

• G.Retriever

• Administrative Account

• Sepura

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hows it going pal.

I have recently built a few websites using wordpress and i suggest using it due to it's simplicity.

You can have an unlimited amount of people registered and give them all different ranks, contributor, author, editor etc..

Wordpress is also good because of the huge amount of themes.

You can have an unlimited amount of people registered and give them all different ranks, contributor, author, editor etc..

So can I give them permissions which in my case will restrict them to certain parts of the website but not all?

And is this something you have to 'upgrade' to get?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Recommend wordpress, I have used it at work and it does tick all your boxes.

I have also used typepad if you are looking to compare an alternative.

Recommend wordpress, I have used it at work and it does tick all your boxes.

Thanks.

So am I right in thinking that I will need to 'upgrade' which is $99 a year so that I can have my own domain name and website too and not just a blog?

8188764748_2f6e321c3c.jpg

Edit: could someone explain what it means by 'Domain Name and Mapping' above?

Edited by G.Retriever

I would suggest hosting it yourself.

Domain is about £10 and depending on how much space you want it's £4-£8 per month.

Go daddy are pretty good but it can seem very complicated signing up.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting.aspx?gclid=CLmahZy40bMCFUfJtAod3DoAeg&isc=goohguk1a&currencytype=GBP&ef_id=UKPTqAAAUdggouaY:20121115165509:s

There are the prices.

Also , if you want to make the site look nice i would suggest investing in a pretty theme.

Really good themes are £35 ish

Right. So buy a domain name separate from the wordpress website?

I have heard godaddy spam like the crackers but have also seen good overall reviews.

Why would you not use wordpress to host?

I either use Wordpress to host or download the wordpress software with a separate domain and build it that way? - thats correct isn't it?

Hound,

Speak to me later! I can give you a Wordpress site to play with.

• Like 1

Hound,

Speak to me later! I can give you a Wordpress site to play with.

what's your site ? can i have a look :new_yummy:

what's your site ? can i have a look :new_yummy:

It's not a site, it's just a hosting account that I have where I do my testing of things :)

I use tsohost for hosting, they have an automated installer for Wordpress. I've done 2 websites now with wordpress and it's very good, extremely powerful if you put the time into it.