Getting charged for assault, when was actually the victim?

Kezza30

Hi can any one offer any advice, as my sister was assaulted in her own garden but the person who assaulted her has not been charged with anything but my sister has. It was the other lady that came into my sisters garden and hit her and sat on top of her and had to be pulled if by another neighbour, but the neighbours which witnessed it are all close friends of this women and have all told the police my sister started it and that it was in the road not the garden! Is there anything my sister can do as she is now being charged with assault and us on bail. My sister is the one with the injuries yet police didn't take no photos of her only the other lady, and also did not take a statement from my sisters daughter who witnessed it all.

Don't think anyone on here is going to be able to give you advice, we don't know the circumstances.

If you think you've been treated unfairly by the police, you could make a complaint, but in my opinion I don't think you're going to get anywhere fast as they have deemed they have enough evidence to charge your sister.

Edited by mcscotland

Thanks, she has put a complaint in and is waiting for the inspector to get back to her.

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Sorry I was only after some general advice I know it wouldn't be anything official!

Clearly it was the perception of the officers who attended that your sister was the aggressor.

Your sister needs to seek legal advice, nobody here can help her.

I assume you weren't there when it happened. So it may well be that she did actually do it, and if she is innocent then you can see how it looks from the PC's point of view.

What about the neighbour who pulled the agressor off? Did they not make a statement?

When police attend we are often likely to pay more attention to the majority accusation unless there is something obvious to indicate otherwise. This seems to have been the case here if what you're saying is indeed factually accurate. Of course the police have a duty to consider all alleged offences and as such should consider allegations of assault from the 'suspect' also. Sounds as if you are taking the only steps that anyone on here could recommend which is to complain and meet with the inspector to try and move things forward.

I'm sure your sister was quite the innocent party in it all :rolleyes:

Traditionally isn't this the sort of thing courts are supposed to decide?