How to repair a PS3

Gelf

Good day all,

About 36 months ago my 60GB PS3 stopped working properly. The system turns on and works fine but it wont recognise any disc (game or DVD/Bluray) I read that this is probably a problem with the bluray drive and at the time I tried spraying compressed air into the drive to see if it was just fluff on the disc reader, it wasn't.

Since then I have tried swapping the bluray drive with one from a friends 80GB PS3 but I couldn't get that to work either.

I phoned up a local repairer who said it would be £100 to replace the bluray drive.

Does anybody have any knowledge of repairing PS3's or anyone had a similar problem?

Any input will be greatly received :)

• Global Moderators

Good day all,

About 36 months ago my 60GB PS3 stopped working properly. The system turns on and works fine but it wont recognise any disc (game or DVD/Bluray) I read that this is probably a problem with the bluray drive and at the time I tried spraying compressed air into the drive to see if it was just fluff on the disc reader, it wasn't.

Since then I have tried swapping the bluray drive with one from a friends 80GB PS3 but I couldn't get that to work either.

I phoned up a local repairer who said it would be £100 to replace the bluray drive.

Does anybody have any knowledge of repairing PS3's or anyone had a similar problem?

Any input will be greatly received :)

Happened to myself 3 weeks ago, I have a fat PS3 - turns out the retention clip for the ribbon cable had come loose from the board and without that the cable won't work

You getting any error messages?

No error message, its just the disc go's in and nothing happens :(

Happened to myself 3 weeks ago, I have a fat PS3 - turns out the retention clip for the ribbon cable had come loose from the board and without that the cable won't work

how did you fix it?

• Global Moderators

I had to find the clip (as it had come off completely) inside the case (Torx screw driver required to remove the cover, then about 8 screws to remove the lid, 6 more on the power supply - then you can see the BD port)

What you do once you have it open is lift the BD drive out from the front (remove the small connector and cable from the front first) then flip it round, check the clip from the ribbon to the drive itself, if that's okay flip it backwards to pull it out and put to one side.

On the motherboard check to see if the ribbon cable is still held in by one of these:

!B9sI)2QB2k~$(KGrHqZ,!g4Ezd209YsgBM6fvC6UuQ~~_35.JPG

If not, get a piece of cardboard and wedge it between the ribbon and the slot - if it's there it's not that, take the ribbon cable out and check for any signs of damage on the terminals or length of the cable

Take the phillips screws out of the BD Drive and then the metal case and spray some compressed air or terminal/contact cleaner (available from poundland or maplins) onto the lens.

There;s an iFixIt guide for the teardown but it's the first get US model; pretty similar I assume by 60GB yours is fat: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/PlayStation_3

Sorry if my instructions are confusing - probably best off checking iFixit first as they have pictures, then coming back to read what I wrote!