Nespresso vs Tassimo

Administrative Account

So Tony wants a coffee machine for Christmas.... but which type... I dont drink coffee so I have not got a clue!

Answers on a postcard please!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrative Account

• GoneForgotten

• G.Retriever

• Corbs

Is there an option for "Isn't a coffee just a case of adding water to granules and stirring?"

I have a Nespresso Citiz. You're looking at £90 for entry level upto £160 and then 30p a cup. I drink espressos mostly so hence the short measures suit me, but you can programme them to give you a larger cup but it's geared up for espressos. The Tassimo range is for "proper coffees" and appear to cost between 55p for a capuccino (effect I guess) to 25p for an Americano. My advice, find a shop and go try some coffee. At the bottom of Regent Street there is now a nespresso shop, so go along and try, dunno about Tassimo.

A mate got capsule coffee machine (something different again I think) and he always used to moan about the cost of the doohickys.

oh and of course

514441.jpg

A POLL! A POLL!

None of the above, get a proper one that takes ground coffee, much more rewarding, you can buy better coffee, it makes the cool noises, and it's cheaper long run. Many also take ESE capsules nowadays, just swap the filter in the handle.

I've had this for a few years and love it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-RI8161-Machine-Professional-Stainless/dp/B0000C72XS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351621545&sr=8-1

PS, it also means you make the cool noises when you make a coffee. Also a lot of spare parts available for this machine, it's properly built, and can be cleaned properly which many these days can't.

The wife used to have a Tassimo and she really liked it, until she worked out just how much a cup of coffee was costing her at home using one of the t-disc's that they used...

I wish I liked coffee so that I could have fancy kitchen appliances :(

Chewie - I agree - I dont even drink the stuff!!

Me neither - it smells nice, but the taste is awful!

We very nearly bought a coffee machine but then heard from reviewers that if you live in a hard water area your machine will clog up fast and it isn't covered for that!

So unless you want to filter all your water first (£1 per x number of litres) then pour it into the coffee machine at 30p a cup then go ahead!

We very nearly bought a coffee machine but then heard from reviewers that if you live in a hard water area your machine will clog up fast and it isn't covered for that!

So unless you want to filter all your water first (£1 per x number of litres) then pour it into the coffee machine at 30p a cup then go ahead!

I live in a hardwater area, I've descaled the machine once in 18 months. Not a problem.

I live in a hardwater area, I've descaled the machine once in 18 months. Not a problem.

Considering we have to descale our kettle on a monthly basis I suspect we live in a harder area... but still, if it is indeed possible to descale it effectively then ignore me!

Considering we have to descale our kettle on a monthly basis I suspect we live in a harder area... but still, if it is indeed possible to descale it effectively then ignore me!

Just filter your water, far easier! And as you know I live in the same hard water area as you.

Might be, also might be how sensitive the specific kit is.

Just filter your water, far easier! And as you know I live in the same hard water area as you.

We used to do that but the filters were expensive and then our filtering kettle gave up the ghost so we just use milton tabs every so often.

Filtering the water before putting it in to the coffee machine wasn't practical.

How to clean the shower pipes and screen... now thats a doozy!

Correction: not milton tablets. Something similar for descaling.

Edited by G.Retriever