Medals

Administrative Account

OK so I'm finally getting round to taking my tunic to the tailor to have my Golden Jubilee ribbon stitched on.

I know there's a protocol for the order of ribbons, and since I already have the LS&GC ribbon there, which side does the Jubilee medal sit?

I always thought LS&GC always sits to the far left of any other ribbon.

That's when looking down at your ribbons on your tunic when wearing it.

Edited by pmtts

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/documents/digitalasset/dg_068133.pdf

this is nothing more than an educated guess ( i was trying to research this for my dad who has several police medals and recently a MBE)

The GJ medal appears further up the list than the Special constabulary LS & GC medal so it would take precedence and therefore be on the wearers right

Jubilee medal should be on the left hand side of the Long Service medal as viewed by an onlooker.

Incidentally, it's not a Long Service & Good Conduct medal - that's only for PC's. The Special Constabulary medal is for Long Service only.

Yeah you're right Chewie, the LS/LS&GC thing. I just can't get it out of my head when I think about it!

My initial thought is correct then, the Queen's medal should be closer to my centre.

Thanks all.

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_068133.pdf

this is nothing more than an educated guess ( i was trying to research this for my dad who has several police medals and recently a MBE)

The GJ medal appears further up the list than the Special constabulary LS & GC medal so it would take precedence and therefore be on the wearers right

This would be correct. Looking down my own uniform, my Campaign medals are on my right, Jubilee (I only have Golden) to their left and finally, my Royal Navy LS+GC.

One thing I've wondered about campaign medals: you are supposed to wear them in date order - but is that in the order you, personally, we're awarded them or the order in which they were first issued by the mod? Say, if you had done an Op Banner tour for the first time after you'd done an op Telic tour would you wear your GSM after your Iraq medal?

One thing I've wondered about campaign medals: you are supposed to wear them in date order - but is that in the order you, personally, we're awarded them or the order in which they were first issued by the mod? Say, if you had done an Op Banner tour for the first time after you'd done an op Telic tour would you wear your GSM after your Iraq medal?

This might help? below are the actual miniatures of a very good pal of mine. You can see the medals you mention above.

post-7793-0-05006500-1351502258_thumb.jpg

Edited by pmtts

Um is that an MBE??

Yes, the Military award as you can see has a thin line down the centre of the ribbon. The civilian is without.

Edited by pmtts

Thanks pmtts. That's the classic order - they are chronological in terms of when the campaigns were. However, what if he had done Telic before Herrick or Banner for the first time after Telic 1?

Um is that an MBE??

I'm more impressed by the QGM!

Cheers mate! What was his QGM for? (if it won't give away his identity!)

Cheers mate! What was his QGM for? (if it won't give away his identity!)

Bomb disposal work in Afghanistan.

Edit : He just called me, so I hope this makes sense :

Operational medals including UN/NATO are mounted in the order of precedence, for when you was awarded them.

Edited by pmtts

Acts of bravery QGM, VCR etc on the left as you look at it. Campaign medals next in order of campaign, followed by jubilee medals, followed by LS/LSGC medal. So to the original question, as you look at the medal, GJ on the left and LSGC on the right.

Hope this helps.

LSGC - otherwise know as Long service Good I Never Got Caught Medal! Lol