Wheel Bearing

RyanF109

I have a 2002 Renault Clio. Since I have had the car (February 2009) I've changed 2 wheel bearings. When they started to get noisy I changed them pretty quick.

But now another one has become noisy but only at 60mph exactly! Below or above by a couple of mph and it's fine. I'd usually not hesitate to change it but I'm due to go on holiday this month and things are pretty tight... What's more; I'm supposed to drive me and 2 friends 240 miles each way to Manchester Airport next week.

My question is: How long will a loud wheel bearing last before it becomes a hazard.

Edited by RyanF109

The corsa I had used to chew through rear wheel bearings for fun; the last one that started whining under warranty was diagnosed at the dealers and I specifically asked them if it was safe for me to carry on driving my 80 miles a day on it whilst I was on a fortnight waiting list for their courtesy car, and they were adamant it was.

As it happened, it did last, getting louder and louder, but I was not convinced and it was an uncomfortable two weeks.

If you are handy with the spanners, although the damage will already be done, could be worth a try taking it out and packing it with grease to alleviate the symptoms and help prolong it until you can buy the replacement?

The corsa I had used to chew through rear wheel bearings for fun; the last one that started whining under warranty was diagnosed at the dealers and I specifically asked them if it was safe for me to carry on driving my 80 miles a day on it whilst I was on a fortnight waiting list for their courtesy car, and they were adamant it was.

As it happened, it did last, getting louder and louder, but I was not convinced and it was an uncomfortable two weeks.

If you are handy with the spanners, although the damage will already be done, could be worth a try taking it out and packing it with grease to alleviate the symptoms and help prolong it until you can buy the replacement?

Thanks for reply but a family member replaced it for a case of beer and the wheel bearing only cost me £11! Result!

I've been in an EVO on Donington with a massively noisy wheel bearing.

Try jacking the car up and wiggle the wheel - the degree of danger will reflect in how much it moves :)

Thanks for reply but a family member replaced it for a case of beer and the wheel bearing only cost me £11! Result!

Good stuff. I do most work on the car myself these days, invested in a few tools, haynes manuals and time on internet forums and have saved me and the Mrs a small fortune.

11 quid for the bearing was good, the corsa you could not get just a bearing for, had to keep replacing the whole hub with the bearing in it as a sealed unit - 70 odd quid a pop and that was after a lot of shopping around! :o