Increasing Laptop Battery Life

J10

Since I bought my laptop around a year ago I've noticed a decline in how long each charge lasts,

I've read about letting the battery completely drain then charging it up again but this doesn't seem to make much difference.

Does anyone here have any tips or tricks to increasing battery life?

Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Burnsy2023

• Ether

• E29NP1546080952

• rachael27161

If I use my laptop or notepad when plugged into the mains, I always make sure the battery is removed.

Most laptop batteries are lithium ion, therefore you can train it. If you keep draining it then charging it up, you should eventually see an improvement.

Leaving it on charge all the time or through the night is an absolute no no! And as Pmtts said above, if you are working from the mains, remove the battery.

You can also try dimming the brighness or putting it onto power saver mode... Or, if all else fails just buy a new battery for £60+ or so ;)

Don't over charge it, once it's 100% don't leave it plugged in running from the mains. Laptop batteries are notoriously rubbish, 1 - 2 years of good usage and then starting to degrade is rather normal.

*unplugs laptop from mains*

never knew that one, so cheers everyone :)

Most laptop batteries are lithium ion, therefore you can train it. If you keep draining it then charging it up, you should eventually see an improvement.

Leaving it on charge all the time or through the night is an absolute no no! And as Pmtts said above, if you are working from the mains, remove the battery.

You can also try dimming the brighness or putting it onto power saver mode... Or, if all else fails just buy a new battery for £60+ or so ;)

A couple of things. Don't completely discharge Li-Ion batteries, part charges are best. Secondly, it doesn't matter if you leave the charger plugged in all the time, it won't overcharge due to the charging regulation circuitry.

• Like 1

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you leave the charger plugged in all the time, it won't overcharge due to the charging regulation circuitry.

Sadly this time I wont take your word for that. Doing the very above cooked my battery last year. I won't be making that costly mistake again.

• Like 1

Sadly this time I wont take your word for that. Doing the very above cooked my battery last year. I won't be making that costly mistake again.

What laptop was the battery in? That isn't normal behaviour.

Simple answer is: BUY AN APPLE LAPTOP!

You do realise Apple laptops suffer the same issue right?

What laptop was the battery in? That isn't normal behaviour.

Compaq/HP

You do realise Apple laptops suffer the same issue right?

Sadly many people believe Apple products are Indestructible :rolleyes:

My apple Mac Pro has been in for a new battery but thats due to a warning that flashed up, but even with that warning it still lasted hours before it died.

If I am honest apple have a compatability issue other than that they are fab in my opinion.

** Although very expensive.

Edited by funkywingnut

My apple Mac Pro has been in for a new battery but thats due to a warning that flashed up, but even with that warning it still lasted hours before it died.

If I am honest apple have a compatability issue other than that they are fab in my opinion.

** Although very expensive.

How old is your Macbook Pro?

How old is your Macbook Pro?

About 4 years old, but it has been around the world numerous times so it has a hard life. It has suffered being dropped, extreme heat and a myriad of other things you should not do to a laptop. I did break the screen on it but that was fixed free of charge by apple.

About 4 years old, but it has been around the world numerous times so it has a hard life. It has suffered being dropped, extreme heat and a myriad of other things you should not do to a laptop. I did break the screen on it but that was fixed free of charge by apple.

4 years old and still on the original battery? How much life do you get on a full charge?