Debt collection

Soapyw

So I've just had a rather worrying email from Buchanan Clark & Wells, who after digging it seems are a debt collection agency asking me to get in touch!

Digging a little further they are acting on behalf of edf who I closed an account with a few months ago. I thought the account was paid up, but there is a hundred or so pounds owing and they have been sending letters to an incorrect address (just found the last bill online with my new contact details wrong).

I spoke with edf (online chat as shut today), and after 20 minutes she said there is nothing she can do, call tomorrow. I will but I'm worried now they won't take the payment and my credit rating could already be adversely affected.

Does anyone out there know much about these things? How much extra do you have to pay once the company pass it to debt people? As it is edf's mistake, can they recall the debt and let me pay it?

Thanks in advance peeps...

If your account has been forwarded to a collection agency, then it's quite possible EDF may not take payment direct as your account would have been closed.

Give EDF a call tomorrow before contacting the collection agency. At least then when you do call the agency you can bat it back into EDF's court and the agency will also query it.

Does anyone out there know much about these things? How much extra do you have to pay once the company pass it to debt people? As it is edf's mistake, can they recall the debt and let me pay it?

Thanks in advance peeps...

I had a similar issue with Talk Talk - closed the account, didn't hear a thing for months, then suddenly a debt collecting agency letter pops through my door.

I emailed the debt collectors and explained that I'd closed the account, wasn't aware of anything being owed, and that I hadn't been contacted by TalkTalk regarding any supposed outstanding balance, and asked that they contact TalkTalk directly to discuss the issue. They emailed back immediately saying that the debt was immediately suspended as far as they were concerned and that they would be in touch as soon as they'd investigated further - about a week or so later I had an email confirming that nothing was owed, and apologising for any upset they'd caused (wich was good of them, given that they were only doing their job - I never had an apology or confirmation from TalkTalk, who were responsible for the mistake in the first place).

Get in touch, explain the issue, and ask them to investigate.

Was the mistake of the address your fault or theirs?

If it wasn't your error I would be telling the debt collectors that you have no contract with them and as there is not a court order you will continue dealing with EDF directly. Phone up EDF inform them what is happening and offer to pay over the phone, if they refuse take the persons name and instead post a cheque to them recorded delivery. Write on the back of the cheque that it is to close your account number XXX and your address.

Chewie did you ever get an adverse credit rating as a result? There fault Gordon, mis-typed the post code.

Following yours and some other advice I contacted the debt people by email thanking them for making me aware of a potential issue, but advising them as we had no contract in place I would be taking up the issue direct with EDF.

EDF were actually very good and apologetic. Took the money, refunded the other account that is in credit (I know) and promised to call off the debt people. I'm worried this may not be the end of it (you hear about these things dragging on for years) but hopefully all they have is my name, email address and incorrect address.

Thanks.

I had an EDF energy account passed to B,C & W, despite it being paid as I switched back to EON and the cross-over was completely ballsed up. B,C & W are extremely unprofessional and in the end they only changed their bullying tactics on the phone when Mr Merlin told the call handler that he was more than willing to stay on the train he was working till it terminated in Glasgow and visit the office. They were unwilling to discuss anything and wanted payment first then would listen later and then a refund would be issued.

Just let EDF deal with the agency and ask for confirmation in writing that the account is settled. They should also make any amendments to your credit file if anything detrimental has been entered.