Advice wanted on Siberian Husky's

i-plod

Hello! I think this is the best place to ask :)

After losing our 2nd cat to a car only a few weeks ago we have decided to get another one due to the pain it causes us when you lose one.

I have been nagging the wife for a dog since I met her and it looks like that will be our next step. We have always been around dogs with family but never had one ourselves while living together.

We had decided on either a German Shepard or a Siberian Husky with us both leaning more towards the Husky region.

Do any of our fine forum users have Husky's and wondered if you could share your experience?

When buying a puppy what should I ask for/look out for? They seem to range from £300-1000 in my area and they all look the same!

Any comments appreciated :)

My friend has a Northern Inuit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Inuit_Dog) and two Alaskan Malamutes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Malamute). All of them were lovely natured dogs, a little stubborn sometimes, very playful, POWERFUL and can grow large. They like a lot of exercise too. They also tend to howl rather then bark which is kind of amusing as it sounds like they are talking to you sometimes. They can be very valuable and be targeted by dog nappers. Suggest you seek advice from a breeder or other official source!

• Like 1

Try getting touch with the kennel club, they will be able to provide a list of breeders who I am sure will be willing to offer advice about health and general keeping etc... I will echo the above post that they are big and powerful animals but then again so is an GSD.

• Like 1

Mate of mine has one and she always says they need a lot of walking.

Have a look on some of the animal rescue sites, you may be able to get one for free as opposed to spending a small fortune

• Like 1

Alexincant, I was in dogs trust in canterbury the other day and they've got a husky there! Might be worth a phone call to see if it's still available for rehoming.

I believe with dogs you can't really put a price on decent breeding, 300-400 quid dogs can be poorly bred and as such health issues can be common, or so I think, I could be entirely wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips and advice so far :) very helpful i didn't even realise there where different breeds other than just Siberian husky. The Alaskan Malamutes seem like great pets too.

I would like to get a rescue dog but my partner wants the puppy factor. I am sure cost factor will win hands down at the end of the day! That dogs trust is literally 5 mins in the car so we had planned to go down there at some point and get a better understanding of the re-homing process and how long it takes etc.

Huskies are quite boisterous and are a lot to handle for people who are used to training dogs. They require a large amount of dedication and patience and are best going to a home where someone is with them full time. They are great fun though with bundles of energy.

As AK47 said, go to breeder and have a chat with them. Most breeders are more than happy to give advice about their dogs even if you don't end up getting a puppy from them.

• Like 1