Building a website

Administrative Account

Looking to build a website

Finances are tight and limited. I need something that is secure so that we can limit access to it or certain areas of it by login and password access.

What else can I tell you?

Any suggestions help or advice?

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrative Account

• simon

• maka

• Ducky

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need help let me know :)

Most of it depends on the intended use / traffic / content etc.

Easy peasy. What's your budget? PM me some details if you like and I'd be more than happy to give you a helping hand.

Err budget is what I can coax out of the bosses based on how much it might cost and how cheap I can get it, if you get my drift.

Err budget is what I can coax out of the bosses based on how much it might cost and how cheap I can get it, if you get my drift.

What's the reason for the website? Will you be selling things?

A site for students. Somewhere we can give them information about courses as well as upload course material and course pre-read material. The site would need to be login only for the students and so that we can exclude them at a later date.

A site for students. Somewhere we can give them information about courses as well as upload course material and course pre-read material. The site would need to be login only for the students and so that we can exclude them at a later date.

Use a free one then, No need to cost any money and can do password protect etc.. http://www.weebly.com/ is an easy site.

http://www.webs.com/ is also good.

if you get some basic hosting and use wordpress that is a great little platform, would take little to know 'web design' experience to maintain, just get someone who knows what they are doing to help to configure it, get you a nice theme, set accounts etc.

you'd be to upload files, have an RSS feed and changing content is pretty much as easy as using this forum. you could also attach features that lets them comment and ask questions to posts or pages using their facebook or twitter ID's

ive used WP and found it to be quite easy to get going :)

i'm sure someone a little more experienced may be to help a little more.

Thanks everybody especially Ducky who I discussed this with in private. You've given me some good pointers and some good starting points.

Now, how do I convince my masters this is a good idea and that they should part with some money and that they should trust me with it?

You could use moodle. It's designed just for this. Allows you to create courses, share material, create and automaticly grade quizzes and has a built in forum for discussion on each course. Best of all. It's free ;-)

Most Universities ad Colleges use either Moodle or Blackboard. They are both quite similar in their use but I believe blackboard costs.

They would both be ideal for what you want as they were specifically designed for that purpose. :)

You could use moodle. It's designed just for this. Allows you to create courses, share material, create and automaticly grade quizzes and has a built in forum for discussion on each course. Best of all. It's free ;-)

Cheers Lee

A moodle is exactly what I'm looking for but I believe I need a website first and then I can set a moodle up on it.

Cheers

Cheers Lee

A moodle is exactly what I'm looking for but I believe I need a website first and then I can set a moodle up on it.

Cheers

You just need webhosting, probably with PHP and MySQL, which can be got for a few £ a month, depending on who you use.