RTC

Lisa Pekel

Hi there, im not sure if i am in the right forum for this topic but would appreciate some advice.

I was travelling to work when i exited the M1 at J29. My intention was to go straight ahead taking the second exit. I was in the right hand lane. Entering the roundabout travelling at approx 25 miles per hour. Both lanes allow you to exit onto the A617. However, when i was just beginning to take my exit, a van entered the roundabout and collided into the side of me pushing me into the curb of the central reservation. He firstly told me it was my fault as I wasnt indicating, yet i was ion lane, i didnt cross lanes and i was already established on the roundabout

In addition, he accelerated to (must have been) around 10-15 miles per hour as he had to cross the outside lane before colliding into me, so he effectively had enough time to stop . Am i to blame for not indicating ?

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Moved to help me

• Like 1

We would of course also refer you to the rules of the highway code on entering and exiting roundabouts, but an investigation of ALL the facts including the statement of events from the other party and independent witnesses would be necessary to determine fault/blame, etc. (PS.Com disclaimer rules apply.)

Edited by Dave SYP

Damage only, exchange names and addresses no further call for police action.. Insurance to fight it out between themselves..

I had a similar one 2 years ago, it was a learner driver that drove into the side of my car, by been in the wrong lane of the roundabout, she cut across my exit.

Just over 2k of damage to my car, after the usual insurance companies court threats, their insurance paid in full.

It went on for ages though! Was about 1 year!

Edited by eddie_wakey

As above get as much info you can at the scene and take pictures if possible. Obviously this is after the fact so no idea how much info and details you managed to take down yourself.

Obviously from the way you have described it, it would sound like they where in the wrong however the other driver will undoubtedly describe it in a way that means you are in the wrong..... Most insurance companies seem to just butt heads and quite often go down the 'Knock for Knock' route where both parties lose no claims and pay for each others damage.

My last claim under slimier circumstances took nearly 2 years to resolve so be prepared for it to drag out if they don't accept liability and you don't have picture/video/witness evidence. Needless to say I eventually won my claim :)