Help me - HDMI Issue with Laptop

IndiaTango

I managed to get back my 22inch monitor from the family (Who kept it for the "family computer" that no one uses as they have a laptop) and I'm using it for my laptop to watch films and game on.

However, randomly whilst gaming my laptop will freeze and I have to force shutdown. There doesn't seem to be any reason to this (other than it only happens when I use an external monitor with an HDMI cable) as I've been changing around settings to no avail. My laptop doesn't overheat (as I have a usb cooler) and my graphics card *should* have no problem handling this.

I'm running;

Dell XPS L502X

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core I7 - 2630 QM @2.00GHz

8.00GB of memory.

NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M

Any feedback will be grateful

Make sure the power cable isn't falling out of the back. My friend has the same model of laptop and the power connector falls out very easily whilst I'm using it. It's a rubbish design by Dell and quite annoying when gaming :p

If the game is freezing it might not be the settings of the game it the hdmi.

I have the same issue with my desktop and it comes from the memory (Ram) on the actually graphics processing unit itself.

Might be worth seeking help from Dell or returning it to the store?

The cable itself should be able to cause a crash/freeze. I'd say it's something to do with the graphics card. First off, I'd check if the card runs much hotter when using an external display, as heat could be the issue. You can get software that'll report the temperature of various core components.

However, typically a computer will turn itself off or restart if its overheating, rather than freezing.

Try adjusting screen resolution on laptop

Adjusting it to?

Edit: The laptop screen isn't used whilst I use the external one.

Edited by ITaylor