Macbook Air, Pro or Dell XPS 15z?

GodAtum

I need to replace my 5 year old laptop. The thing is I only use it when I go on holiday which is 1-3 times a year as I have a desktop at home. I will mainly use it for watching HD videos on the plane, uploading photos from my SD card, internet browsing and email at the hotel. I'm thinking the Macbook Air but not sure if I'll like the small screen so probably need something like the 15" Macbook Pro or Dell XPS 15z. I could even get the iPad but need multitasking capabilities of a proper desktop.

Edited by GodAtum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GodAtum

• Marty McFly1546081284

• Administrative Account

• ((TheShake))1546081325

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'd probably be better off getting an iPad or something for what you're going to be using it for. Since the introduction of the newer iOS you can multitask so that shouldn't be an option.

But if you're restricting us to the option you've provided I'd go for the Dell XPS. Powerful laptop and well priced compared to the Apple efforts.

There is no point getting an XPS or Macbook Pro as you simply don't need the power. The macbook air is nice, or just get a normal low end Dell machine.

• Like 1

I need to put multiple windows/apps side by side on the screen, I dont think the iPad can do that? Eg: 3 photos side by side.

I agree with the other posters. And I may be wrong but I don't think IOS 6 will support multitasking In that sense. If you only intend to use the Laptop too often, I'd be tempted to suggest a mid range net book, if you can tolerate the smaller screen.

But if you do decide to use the machine more often I'd go for the XPS for it's fair power to cos ratio and maybe the MacBook if you're really into editing the pictures you've taken with photoshop.

I need to put multiple windows/apps side by side on the screen, I dont think the iPad can do that? Eg: 3 photos side by side.

Ah fair enough.

There is no point getting an XPS or Macbook Pro as you simply don't need the power. The macbook air is nice, or just get a normal low end Dell machine.

I understand he may not need the power but consider the cost of a lovely slim Mac Air vs a Dell XPS...

The Macbook Air certainly fits the bill - especially if you need portable (and in 5 years time, there still be residual value in it). But it does depend on the screen estate you need (11" or 13"). It also depends on if you want/need Windows or if you are happy to change to OSX.

Personally, I'd go for the MBA, but having switched to Mac a few years back, very little would tempt me back to the dark side.

(if you do want to stick with Windows, also have a look at the HP Envy range as they're pretty good machines also)

Dell XPS 15Z: Intel i5, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD for £799, weight 2.5 kg.

Macbook Air 13": Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD for £999, weight 1.35 kg

HP Envy 14": Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD for £1199, weight 1.8 kg.

I'll be mostly using software such as Lightroom. But do I have to buy another licence?

Edited by GodAtum

Dell XPS 15Z: Intel i5, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD for £799, weight 2.5 kg.

Macbook Air 13": Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD for £999, weight 1.35 kg

HP Envy 14": Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD for £1199, weight 1.8 kg.

I'll be mostly using software such as Lightroom. But do I have to buy another licence?

Is that the new Macbook Air with the retina display? Get that one. For the extra 200 quid you're getting a far superior screen and the SSD will be lightning fast. Just remember that you may need to by extra things like a CD/DVD drive and a USB to ethernet adapter.

Is that the new Macbook Air with the retina display? Get that one. For the extra 200 quid you're getting a far superior screen and the SSD will be lightning fast. Just remember that you may need to by extra things like a CD/DVD drive and a USB to ethernet adapter.

No, the Airs dont have retina atm. Would 128GB be enough? I would probably use quite a few GB taking RAW photos and HD video.

Edited by GodAtum

No, the Airs dont have retina atm. Would 128GB be enough? I would probably use quite a few GB taking RAW photos and HD video.

I have 2500+ RAW files on my computer and it takes up about 21GB. For HD video you're talking a lot more space - probably about 8gb per hour for full 1080 recording. You can compress it but that's the rough ratio for raw footage.

If you're using it for photo and film processing, I strongly recommend that you get a retina display. They're amazing and totally warrant the extra money.

Edited by Hezzy

The only Macs with retina are the Macbook pros unfortunately.

I need to replace my 5 year old laptop. The thing is I only use it when I go on holiday which is 1-3 times a year as I have a desktop at home. I will mainly use it for watching HD videos on the plane, uploading photos from my SD card, internet browsing and email at the hotel. I'm thinking the Macbook Air but not sure if I'll like the small screen so probably need something like the 15" Macbook Pro or Dell XPS 15z. I could even get the iPad but need multitasking capabilities of a proper desktop.

Also remember that with apple, there is an official police discount.

Also remember that with apple, there is an official police discount.

How do I get that!?

I'd avoid the Air or new Retina - and that's from a Mac man.

If you go for a Mac, go for a Book Pro, at least you get an optical drive and connectors and not have to be expected to buy add-ons to go through USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Apple are being stupid.