Is it legal to get a 50cc moped derestricted based on this...

BobBates

Hi,

I have been searching on the internet all day about this, including this website...

I am going to be getting a 50cc moped that is restricted to 30 MPH.

is de-restricting it legal? based on these things...

- I am 29 years old

- I have a full car licence (which i got after the 2001 cut off date for not requring a CBT - which means i have to do one)

- I will be getting a CBT - and once i do it is valid for the life of my driving licence - and gives me a full moped licence (eg - no L plates - I can carry a passenger)

Will i still be able to de-restrict it - and i will be telling my insurance im going to do that - and ask if ill still be insured (if they say no i wont do it)

I will also tell the DVLA

Hopefully someone can tell me if thats legal?

Thank you in advance.

Bob Bates

Edited by BobBates

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Once deresticted what is the Bhp? With it only being 50cc to start with I'm pretty sure you would be fine. Also you may have to upgrade the brakes as these will only be designed for a scooter going 30mph and you may have to re-register it as a motorbike.

Edited by wanabe

I'm pretty confident having seen traffic deal with it before, that should you de-restrict it and it is then capable of 31mph+ it is no longer a moped and is instead a light motorcycle (A1) requiring a CBT every two years, L-plates, no pillion and no motorway as well as provisional motorbike entitlement.

as above. it would be more than the power limit of a 'moped' and be a light M/C. you could only ride it as is, restricted on your current licence.

so you would have to take a CBT and ride as a learner, you would also need to fit a number plate light if not fitted as anything over 50cc requires this and many moped/scooters don't light up the plate.

It depends on what size machine you did your CBT on. If you did it on a 50cc moped then no, you won't be able to. However if you do it on a 125cc scooter or motorcycle then you should be alright, providing the moped isn't stronger than 125cc with 15bhp, which I'm guessing it won't be.

It depends on what size machine you did your CBT on. If you did it on a 50cc moped then no, you won't be able to. However if you do it on a 125cc scooter or motorcycle then you should be alright, providing the moped isn't stronger than 125cc with 15bhp, which I'm guessing it won't be.

That is incorrect, I did my CBT on an automatic scooter at 16. As soon as I was 17 I got a geared 125cc and I spoke to the DVLA who said I didnt need to re-do my CBT (however it is still only valid for 2 years) I passed my motorbike test without re-doing my CBT

In response to the OP, seandesy1 and maka are correct.

Edited by pottheed

As I have mentioned on another thread regarding de-restriction. Bike shops will be more than happy to take your cash and carry the procedure out. But they they are not obliged to tell you that the bike is no longer classed as a moped!!

It's the responsibility of the customer to make sure the licence and paperwork are correct.

You can do it no problem - look forward to the DOTAL when a friendly traffic officer finds you riding it with no L plates! ;)

That is incorrect, I did my CBT on an automatic scooter at 16. As soon as I was 17 I got a geared 125cc and I spoke to the DVLA who said I didnt need to re-do my CBT (however it is still only valid for 2 years) I passed my motorbike test without re-doing my CBT

In response to the OP, seandesy1 and maka are correct.

That's not what I was told. I have a friend who did hers on an automatic and thus isn't allowed to ride a geared motorcycle. Makes sense, it's the same concept for cars. I would check that out again, mate :S

ok yeah i see what you mean - it does seem thats the only way - it would be classed as not a moped any more.

Also even if i managed to become legal somehow with all that - and got pulled on a un-restricted moped - showing the police im legal would be a nightmare - because of all the different things to do.

I think I'll just keep it restricted - too much headache haha.

could always buy a 125 after or something - id rather build up slowly anyway to be honest.

thank you all for helping :)

Timez