Playing AVI files

carty23

Hi guys,

I'm trying to play some CCTV footage that was burnt from the security system at work. It's an AVI IMM5 file. It plays straight away on the works computer with windows media player, but at home I get no luck. I have tried every player out there and can't get it to play. I've downloaded a k-lite codec pack and still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Download VLC. If that can't play it you'll have to do some real searching.

Download VLC. If that can't play it you'll have to do some real searching.

Tried that too :(

Have you tried to source the IMM5 Codec?

Although, and after taking a quick Google, it would probably be better if you knew the manufacturer of the CCTV and tried to obtain it direct from their website…being a proprietary / not so general Codec, it would be far too easy to download a rogue file pretending to be what you want.

Unsure if this is the correct manufacturer, let alone correct for the relevant AVI file…I assume it's this type of thing you are going to have to source.

Samsung NET-i viewer

I will echo what Law_Grad has said. Be very careful with the downloading of codecs. Most of them will look perfect and will even offer you a free media player or a nice toolbar. 3 days later your bank account is empty and your email address has become property of Mr Mbgumbada from Nigeria who is telling people they've inherited a fortune.

Be careful ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice Alex, but poor old Mr Mbgumbada from Nigeria would be really REALLY disappointed if they managed to hack my bank account>

Maybe they'd feel sorry for me, and put some money in :D

• Like 3