Shoulder camera

GodAtum

Ive looked at a lot of cycle helmet cams but is there one to fit on my shoulder, like those police ones? I'm thinking of using one for my commute to work, hopefully filming will protect me and put anyone off thinking about mugging me.

Don't think it will stop them, if they see it then they will most likely brake or steal it.

Well, it *could* work as a deterrence to most low key offenders but on the other hand to some thieves, especially those working in groups, it might stand out as a beacon and make you a pretty viable target. You could always consider a covert camera but they're very expensive which is the downside.

More car drivers and cyclists have cameras for their own protection and safely, I think pedestrians using them is a good idea.

• Like 1

Why would it put anyone off mugging you? If they've mugged you then they'll be having the camera off you, wiping it then selling it on. These GoPros and the like are worth a fair whack. You'll be left 1 camera down with no record of the event.

Silly idea IMO, I do understand why cyclists use them, bit of protection but if they are that intent on mugging you.... They will, and the end result is you being personal belongings and a camera short after it.

I know several people who have used these and have helped one of them to fight an insurance claim from a car driver.

Not a bad idea.

I run a helmetcam full time on my motorbike now after catching an accident on a bike mounted camcorder a couple of years back, teh footage made the legal case much easier.

Not a bad idea.

Just to clarify, he's not thinking of using it in/on a vehicle, he plans to walk down the street with an expensive camera balanced on his shoulder, in order to prevent people mugging him...

:new_hmmm:

People who cut up other road users or go in for a bit of road users are often law abiding people most of the time, thus a camera is a useful tool and deterant. Street robbers are not so I doubt will care much about you camera other than to nick it.