Google Chrome Problem

Administrative Account

Hi all

Google Chrome has started (in the past day or so) acting funny.

I have a bar appear on every page/tab of about 2.5 cm (1inch) at the bottom of every screen/tab. It flickers on and off very rapidly and this makes the whole screenflicker up and down rapidly.

I have done a number of searches and there appears to be a lot of pages mentioning a flickering problem but none seem to fit my issue.

This is only affecting my main PC and not my netbook.

Whilst trying to find a solution I am using IE7, however, this is now trying to automatically re direct me to somewhere called iamwired.com I have run a couple of Malwarebytes scans and scanned with Avast! but nothing is coming up.

Can anybody offer any help, advice or guidance?

Many Thanks

I'm not having any issues with Chrome at the moment...

try going into your IE settings and changing the homepage, clearing the cache, history, cookies etc etc etc...

It sounds like you downloaded a program which has tried to install a toolbar but failed, try running google chrome with no add on's

Google it if you dont know how to do it.

Quick search of "iamwired" on Google shows that it is some kind of browser add-on that is malware in all but name. This could well be causing both of your problems. I would recommend pottheed's suggestion and see if that resolves it.

If it does then you can look into removing the add-on / infection manually.

Thanks folks, I'll try those things the next time I'm on the main PC and I shall report back.

Also, have a look in your Add/Remove Programs for anything which sounds related to it. Often simply uninstalling the toolbar will solve the problem.

None of the above has worked :( but thanks for trying folks.

The problem has worsened in that it now affects IE8 as well.  Decided that this weekend I am going to wipe the machine and do a fresh install of Windows 7, I hate doing this because I lose everything but it is increasingly looking like the only option.

I hate computers.

Have you tried starting the PC in safe mode?

do you have access to another PC?

if so do a search for the issues you have and see if anyone has a way of deleting whatever virus/malware you have...

Not tried it in safe mode but I don't really want to go into safe mode every time I go on the internet.

I do have another machine and have searched the problem but all I get are developer sites talking a lot of technical stuff.  The closest I have come to any solution involves the iamwired stuff and this either means going into the registry and hacking and slashing or purchasing expensive cleaners.

I have so far run on the machine

Avast full system scan

Malwarebytes full system scan

Superantispyware full scan

Spybot Search and Destroy

RKill with regedit cleaner

CCleaner

Everything above found something and all of them fixed/cleansed it for me but the problem is still happening.

I have tried deleting all apps and extensions, removed Chrome from the machine entirely and downloaded a new clean version and it still occurs and when I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 it started on there as well.

Everything else on the machine works fine and I can find no problems with anything else at all, just browsers.

I have had the Windows 7 disc sat on my desk for about 12 months now but XP has been working superbly until this week so I suppose it's really just time to upgrade, hate to do so, but resigned to the fact it's probably time.

Not tried it in safe mode but I don't really want to go into safe mode every time I go on the internet.

I do have another machine and have searched the problem but all I get are developer sites talking a lot of technical stuff. The closest I have come to any solution involves the iamwired stuff and this either means going into the registry and hacking and slashing or purchasing expensive cleaners.

I have so far run on the machine

Avast full system scan

Malwarebytes full system scan

Superantispyware full scan

Spybot Search and Destroy

RKill with regedit cleaner

CCleaner

Everything above found something and all of them fixed/cleansed it for me but the problem is still happening.

I have tried deleting all apps and extensions, removed Chrome from the machine entirely and downloaded a new clean version and it still occurs and when I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 it started on there as well.

Everything else on the machine works fine and I can find no problems with anything else at all, just browsers.

I have had the Windows 7 disc sat on my desk for about 12 months now but XP has been working superbly until this week so I suppose it's really just time to upgrade, hate to do so, but resigned to the fact it's probably time.

It definitely is time to upgrade. Shame there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win7 so you'll have to make sure you've got everything backed up then do a clean install.

All my machines are backed up to a Western Digital My world 1TB external drive so I shouldn't lose anything apart from passwords on sites etc.

My Mate, who is a bit of an IT whizz, is coming to assist so we should be ok.  I do have a mirror image of my machine from November last year, I think it's an Acronis image back up so I could roll it back to then but an upgrade is probably better.

I suppose I'm just a bit stuck in my ways and having had XP for several years without problems or issues it'll be like losing an old friend.

Oh well, time and tide waits for no man, so they say!

All my machines are backed up to a Western Digital My world 1TB external drive so I shouldn't lose anything apart from passwords on sites etc.

My Mate, who is a bit of an IT whizz, is coming to assist so we should be ok. I do have a mirror image of my machine from November last year, I think it's an Acronis image back up so I could roll it back to then but an upgrade is probably better.

I suppose I'm just a bit stuck in my ways and having had XP for several years without problems or issues it'll be like losing an old friend.

Oh well, time and tide waits for no man, so they say!

Have you experienced Win7 before? I think it truly is their best effort to date. It's what Vista would have been if they'd not rushed it but simpler.

I did have a trial version on the machine and I dabbled with it on occasion (had it on dual boot).  I'm sure in a couple of months I'll wonder why I was worried and why I hadn't done it sooner.