Has Anyone Been Approached At Bromley Shopping By A Man With A Very Fake Looking Police Badge, His Attitude And Language Was Not Of A Police Man.

Amarie

I want to know if any one else has genuinley been approached by this man.

This incident happened around a year ago, I and my 13 year old sister were extremely scared. This was an incident of extreme verbal abuse from a man in his 40's who had a threatening and violent nature.

He was tall, well dressed/clean looking with greying hair and facial hair.

He claimed to be police, with a Badge in a leather wallet style case.

I had/have a strong belief he could not possibly be a Police man.

I reported the incident to the police and nothing more came of it. Which was fine.

I recently saw the man at the Glades, Bromley shopping centre and felt the need to hide.

If i was to see the man again, should i ring the non emergency number?, Im not sure if they would even be able to do anything.

Amarie.

We don't have badges - we have warrant cards. So if he shows you a badge rather than the card then it is a bit odd.

Amarie, I am guessing you have come on here for advice rather than as a member of a Police service. there will be a standard disclaimer that someone will no doubt put up here in a minute.

In answer to your question, there are unfortunately people out there who do feel they 'should' be a police officer and get themselves badges even uniforms made, we call them walts.

I would ring the Police on 101 or 999 if urgent and give this persons description and location. If in a shopping centre no doubt they have CCTV that can find him and security or Police can verify his ID.

A legitimate Police officer may come across as crude, depending on the circumstances they are in, we are only human. Not an excuse, however they should always have ID (some forces do have badges, with a photo ID underneath a flap next to the badge) and they should be willing to allow you to phone 101 to confirm who they are if you do not belive them.

Edited by Straightjacket

We don't have badges - we have warrant cards. So if he shows you a badge rather than the card then it is a bit odd.

Did you mean in your force or as a whole? In Gloucestershire Constabulary we have our warrent cards in a leather wallet with the force crest/badge on the other side.

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Moved to help me

As djmh has just posted, most officers in most forces do keep their warrant card in a leather wallet with a 'badge' as the OP described - there's nothing really odd about it.

To Amarie, there's not a lot any of us on here can say besides what other members have already said. You have your reasons for believing the person who stopped you wasn't an officer - if you are stopped again and have reason to think they are lying then simply call the police and a uniformed officer will come down and will be able to verify it one way or the other for you.

Being Bromley (Met area), chances are it would have either been a Met or Kent officer. A Met warrant card holder looks like this, and a card would appear on the opposite side...

img_W_1971_39e9d854c7f1468513e90c10.jpg

• Like 1

Thankyou for replying.

Theres not really anywhere you can write when things like this happen, you report the incident but then that is it. I want to be able to find out if he has done this to other people aswell, the support of talking to other people who've had the same situation happen would be good. I can without doubt say this man could not be a police man. He was abusive to both me and the child with me, he was intimidating with threats, he stood with his body very close to mine, shouting inches from my face. He seemed very angry and violent. I am sure he could not have been a police man.

The badge looked similar to your photo, although it did not have gaps as that one does. It was solid and silver.

I have saved the non emergency number and local police station number in my phone and will contact them if i see this man again. Although i hope i never do. Thankyou for your advice.

Congratulations Amarie, you have won the award for the longest thread title ever!

• Like 2

So what were the circumstances of the original incident? He came up and verbally abused you? Or were you causing a nuisance, and got yourself told off by an off-duty (or plainclothes) cop? I can certainly read between the lines here. Especially if you were 'extremely scared' and 'had to hide' a year later, but you are 'fine' that you reported it to the police and nothing came of it.............................................................

And did he say he was police? Or just show a badge? Other services also have similar badges (HMRC, UKBA, Revenue Inspectors, store security etc etc etc), and he may have been from another force (BTP, Kent, CoLP) .

We genuinley were just shopping i had a few dresses in my hand leaning on the wall passing them one by one to her and she was holding them up to herself in the mirror and taking photos on her phone in the plan to go off and have lunch to give her time to decide which she liked best. I've never been a 'nuisance' deliberatley in my life, I make a point to be the type of person who is helpful and has good manners.

I am fine that nothing came of it, as what else are they supposed to do? The police took the report. Surely untill there was another sighting or complaint theres not much they can do as its not a high profile crime.

I'm signing off now. Not sure if you can delete profile, I shall have a look.

Thanks for the few helpful replies. It helped to see the real badge also.

I dont feel the need to sit here assuring you that we were innocent in the situation, as it only really matters that I know we were.

Thanks again,

Amarie.

Sorry, but there's no way to delete your profile. If you wish to stop using the site then you can simply stop using it, and on that basis also I will close this thread...