What To Do?

Adamski1546081335

Hey Kids (and what few adults frequent this establishment...),

I find myself in a predicament:

My current place of work cannot afford me, and my manager (the MD) has found that having an assistant isn't perhaps working as well as he thought it would. The company has also taken advantage of my good nature, and I have ended up doing things that I simply do not want to be doing. To that end, I have decided that there is no hope for me here, and to move on.

In my previous job, I didn't get on with my line manager. I had gone to a prestigious company in the Aviation industry, with the hope of getting away from IT and learning something new and interesting. The work was fine, and I really enjoyed 99.9% of the people; ONE individual let the side down, so I left.

In the job before that, I worked for the company that I currently work at, doing the stuff that I really don't want to be doing now.

So what the hell do I do? I have no job security here, and jobs aren't exactly flowing thick and fast at the moment. I have a career aspiration, but I cannot see that through until May as recruitment is closed. Do I stick in the field that I know best, try something new within that field, move field, or just not work and claim benefits?

Anyone got any jobs going in the Southern Thames Valley area?

Edited by Adamski

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adamski1546081335

• Wookie1546081346

• Million

• MRF@1972

Taking what you said in the first and last lines of your post, I as an employer would hardly be minded to offer you a job.

Looking at the rest of your post, you have to do things in a job that you don't particularly want to do. I own my own business and I have to do things that I don't want to do either, that's just the way it is.

• Like 1

doing things you do not want to do? Maybe thats called gaining experience?

Two of you have missed the point entirely and one of you I think has misunderstood what I mean.

By "my current place of work cannot afford me" I mean they are actually operating me at a loss. They cannot afford to be paying me, on whatever salary. They just about break even as it is, they hoped that bringing me on in this role would get them more money and it's not. It's not that I'm a money grabbing gold digger, it's that they actually can't.

Rocket, can you be more specific? I'm not sure what I've written would lead you to not be minded to offer me employment...

Edit to include a response to Griffin: Driving all over the South East to visit customer sites when 80% of the time, we don't need to, but because of the business ethic it seems like a good idea to spend £0.45 /mile on an Engineer going to see them isn't "gaining experience." It's wasteful. I did it before, I came back to the company on the agreement that I wouldn't be doing field based engineering, and lo' and behold I've ended up doing field based engineering.

Edited by Adamski

If it were me, I'd try and stick it out as long as I can. As it's been mentioned, times are tough and if they are still happy to employ you despite running at a loss I'd take it. At least you have regs recruitment coming up soon. Do you have an idea how long recruitment might take? Do you think you'll be able to hold onto your job until then?

Do I stick in the field that I know best, try something new within that field, move field, or just not work and claim benefits?

Benefits or 'Job seekers allowance' to give it it's proper name are for just that: JOB SEEKERS. It's for those who are genuinely unemployed and are actively seeking employment. It's not "Oh, I don't like my job because they don't let me do exactly what I want and I'm far too good for that so I'll just get benefits instead".

That is a very poor attitude and your benefits would be paid by myself, Rocket, Griffin etc because we can be bothered to work. I dislike my day job and thats my family business. I can't wait to get out of it, but it pays the bills and its secure so I live with it despite the rubbish jobs I have to do and the nightmare people I have to work with and manage.

Sounds like you need to take a step back and take a reality check at what you have and how lucky you are to have it. It's not hard.

• Like 1

Windhill, I'll be honest, I think you've completely missed the point. I have no intention of claiming benefits instead of working. It was intended as a joke; perhaps, through the power of the internet, it didn't come across as such. I simply came for some advice. I've found none, never mind and oh well.

What's the career that doesn't recruit until may? Out of interest.

It's easier to find work when working and no matter how much you hate your job or the people you work with you need to realise that it's not easy to get a job at the moment and there will be a que of people happy to do your job.

Value to a business isn't always about how much money a specific role costs the business but the perception it gives to the customer, sending you around the country may cost the company money but if it retains their customers then you are adding value.

Unless you have been told otherwise don't assume you are costing the business to be there.

Unless you have been told otherwise don't assume you are costing the business to be there.

I have.

I've been told that when they employ a full time engineer again, I'm out. As soon as next week. I have an interview later for a job but I'm not entirely sure it's promising.

Edit: This was the initial basis for my comment "The company cannot afford me." This isn't me being big headed and blowing my own trumpet, this is actual, genuine, the company does not have enough money to pay my wage territory.

Edited by Adamski