Pc Keeps Freezing

GodAtum

Hi all,

My PC keeps freezing throughout the day. The screen goes grey and i cannot click on anything. But my mouse moves and I can swap between open windows/application. However it will not open any new applications or windows.

My specs:

Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920

9GB RAM

1 WD Rapter 150 GB HDD (SATA)

1 WD 80 GB HDD (IDE)

I've also made a note of the times it freezes over a 2 days:

1731-38

1822-38

1928-40

2028-44

2135-48

2226-40

1040-52

1134-56

1448-1503

1538-48

1646-58

1744-59

1841-57

1843-59

Edited by GodAtum

Wow nice rig,

Bit of an overkill for Ubuntu aha. I very much doubt it is a hardware problem (unless its your GPU) and more a software issue. If you open up the CPU control centre (its been a while since i have studied a linux distribution [studying computer science at 6th form]) if you have a look how much CPU usage is going on and what linux is "swapping" (swap space) as the way linux handles high amounts of traffic is different to windows (more efficient but can have flaws). I doubt swap space is going to have an effect with all your RAM I must admit im rather jealous!

If you can find a way to look at the CPU that could be an entry point.

What program are you using when it goes gray? In ubuntu a gray screen means its hung, if its from the multiverse rather universe it could be bad code.

If you post any answers to this hopefully we can find an answer :-)

Quick edit: If you have a look at the CPU usage when it goes gray, i have a theory.. May not be correct as it could be a number of things but if the program is written badly and becomes intractable it may be using all of your cpu (i7 unlikely but still i guess small chance).

Also what graphics card you using?

Edited by bian101

Lol its a few years old now! I was thinking of getting a new laptop but since the spec is still quite good I'd rather try to fix this one.

It hangs in a variety of application, even when it's just the desktop open.

When running normally, each CPU doesnt go above 30% and the swap space is around 11%.

When hanging, the CPUs go to about 80% for short bursts. The swap space stays the same.

I'm using an ATI X1650 GPU.

I assume your on Gnome 3D as well? How long has this issue been happening? Im not too familiar with Ubuntu software but can you do a restore to before the issue?

When I saw "PC keeps freezing". This is not what I expected. I was going to suggest a coat but I realised the weather is quite warm today.

• Like 1

There is a joke about freezing PCs here...

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Edited by Bouquaine
  • Like 1

I did re-install Ubuntu a while back and that did not solve it.

Hi all,

My PC keeps freezing throughout the day.

Is it an NPT cop? I regularly see them "freezing" throughout the day!

How about running 'top' in a terminal window so that, when it freezes, you might be able to see which process is being a naughty ######?