Network Bandwidth Monitor

vpc-thc

OK, so here is the situation. Our ISP is XLN. We are on a 10GB Monthly allowance. About 8 days into the month, we receive an email stating we are close to our download limit (About 8GB). Two days later, they email us and say we have reached our 10GB limit. So thats 1GB a day right?

Then they charge £4 per every 5GB over our usual allowance.

We are only being charged £4. SO what they are saying is that in the first 10 days, we use 1GB/Day, but after that we hardly use any, yet we use the internet just the same afterwards!

I think there is something fishy going on, and want to know if there is a free or very cheap Network Bandwidth Monitor that I can download that will tell me the total bandwidth use and which device is using the most bandwidth.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Edited by vpc-thc

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vpc-thc

• cmdkeen

• caveat_civis

• Gostling1546081327

I've NEVER heard of your ISP... A guick google shows that they're a company with great services for the first couple of months,and rapidly decline thereafter.

Your router should have some sort of data counter on it. Log into the web admin page (PM me if you need help) and take a look around.

Oh, and move ISP. Quickly.

It does rather sound like they're doing something dodgy.

Im not aware of any tools that monitor total accumulation of traffic over a network, but if you are using a router then this will count bytes sent and recieved. Unless you left mutliple PCs on overnight I highly doubt that you would have used 1GB in <12 hours.

Things I would be checking are that your wireless is secure, you are confident no one else is hopping onto your network and using the internet for free, that your computer(s) are free from viruses and malware (I use AVG Free and Spybot S&D respectively) and that you are sure everything that could use an internet connection is switched off when not in use.

After checking all of the above, get back onto XLN and don't put up with any bull-crap about "well our system shows you've use 100GB so you must have" - make them dig a little deeper and they might find an issue on their systems. If you have even an inkling (sp?) that you may be at fault then admit defeat and pay up - but be sure to have solved the root cause first.

A good website for this sort of thing is www.thinkbroadband.com

I've NEVER heard of your ISP...

To be honest, I work in this industry and I have heard of XLN. I wasn't aware that they were in the consumer market though.

DU Meter is excellent, it's what I use to keep track.

I use a program called NetMeter on my PCs to monitor traffic in/out, it will log totals but these are only totals via the network so if you share data between multiple PCs that will also be recorded.

Some routers also give you running totals.

I've NEVER heard of your ISP... A guick google shows that they're a company with great services for the first couple of months,and rapidly decline thereafter.

Your router should have some sort of data counter on it. Log into the web admin page (PM me if you need help) and take a look around.

Oh, and move ISP. Quickly.

I am afraid my router has nothing of the sort, it's not the best to be quite honest. It's very basic.

We are considering going back to our old ISP who we never had issues with.

It does rather sound like they're doing something dodgy.

Im not aware of any tools that monitor total accumulation of traffic over a network, but if you are using a router then this will count bytes sent and recieved. Unless you left mutliple PCs on overnight I highly doubt that you would have used 1GB in <12 hours.

Things I would be checking are that your wireless is secure, you are confident no one else is hopping onto your network and using the internet for free, that your computer(s) are free from viruses and malware (I use AVG Free and Spybot S&D respectively) and that you are sure everything that could use an internet connection is switched off when not in use.

After checking all of the above, get back onto XLN and don't put up with any bull-crap about "well our system shows you've use 100GB so you must have" - make them dig a little deeper and they might find an issue on their systems. If you have even an inkling (sp?) that you may be at fault then admit defeat and pay up - but be sure to have solved the root cause first.

A good website for this sort of thing is www.thinkbroadband.com

To be honest, I work in this industry and I have heard of XLN. I wasn't aware that they were in the consumer market though.

Well they are more business, and my Dad has his own small business, so thats why we are with them. The network is secure, with a 13-digit numbercode. I run scans on our PC's/Laptops every month, always clear.

DU Meter is excellent, it's what I use to keep track.

I use a program called NetMeter on my PCs to monitor traffic in/out, it will log totals but these are only totals via the network so if you share data between multiple PCs that will also be recorded.

Some routers also give you running totals.

Do these programs monitor the network or just my PC?

I doubt very much that you're using that much data unless you're watching a lot of youtube, downloading stuff and doing a lot of bandwidth intensive stuff.

NetMeter can only monitor the PC it's installed on. If you have multiple PCs but don't transfer files between them you can just install it on each machine and add them up, if you share data then you have a problem.

Do these programs monitor the network or just my PC?

NetMeter can only monitor the PC it's installed on. If you have multiple PCs but don't transfer files between them you can just install it on each machine and add them up, if you share data then you have a problem.

Same.

I am afraid my router has nothing of the sort, it's not the best to be quite honest. It's very basic.

You're quite sure? I have a router here that I paid about a tenner for, it's as basic as can be, but even that has a "stats" page, that lists throughput per IP number assigned.

You're quite sure? I have a router here that I paid about a tenner for, it's as basic as can be, but even that has a "stats" page, that lists throughput per IP number assigned.

Definitely. I've been through every Menu. If it helps anyone, I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router.

Presuming you don't live in the middle of nowhere...

Have you enabled proper security on the router? Check the router's access logs to see how many computers are connecting to it. Plenty of phones and other mobile devices will prompt to connect to random unsecured networks, alternatively it could be a neighbour / local deliberately freebooting on your connection.

Even if you have security enabled it is fairly easy to bypass it and connect. Your router should list the recent computer connections, either as logs, DHCP leases etc etc. Various extra methods can be enabled to overcome this.

Finally - try switching off your router when you aren't using it.

Presuming you don't live in the middle of nowhere...

Have you enabled proper security on the router? Check the router's access logs to see how many computers are connecting to it. Plenty of phones and other mobile devices will prompt to connect to random unsecured networks, alternatively it could be a neighbour / local deliberately freebooting on your connection.

Even if you have security enabled it is fairly easy to bypass it and connect. Your router should list the recent computer connections, either as logs, DHCP leases etc etc. Various extra methods can be enabled to overcome this.

Finally - try switching off your router when you aren't using it.

How can people bypass connecting to our router without the password?

I looked at the DHCP Client List, every device is ours.

How can people bypass connecting to our router without the password?

I looked at the DHCP Client List, every device is ours.

I assume there is WPA encryption?

I don't know of a network monitor, but if you're looking to change ISP I recently switched over to TalkTalk, they have an appalling customer service reputation but so far I've found them pretty good - it was all installed on time, when they said it would, and I'm getting excellent data speeds at all times of the day.

Best of all it costs me about £16 a month and that includes the line rental, all inclusive phone calls, and unlimited broadband downloads.

Worth a look.