Black exhaust gunk

Adamski1546081335

Good morrow team,

I was driving my brother home yesterday when he commented that my VW Golf 1.9 TDI was running a bit untidily at the idle. When we pulled up on the drive way, he got out and asked me to stop, then start the engine. He proceeded to be shocked and disgustsed at the amount of <Insert nasty word beginning with S here> that came from the Exhaust. The same happens when I rev the engine hard.

Any ideas on:

A) If this is a problem

B) How I can fix it (if it needs fixing)

C) Whether it should've been picked up at a recent service or if it's a new problem

TIA,

Adamski

Good morrow team,

I was driving my brother home yesterday when he commented that my VW Golf 1.9 TDI was running a bit untidily at the idle. When we pulled up on the drive way, he got out and asked me to stop, then start the engine. He proceeded to be shocked and disgustsed at the amount of <Insert nasty word beginning with S here> that came from the Exhaust. The same happens when I rev the engine hard.

Any ideas on:

A) If this is a problem

B) How I can fix it (if it needs fixing)

C) Whether it should've been picked up at a recent service or if it's a new problem

TIA,

Adamski

How is the engine oil level?

Is the smoke all black? If so, could be unburnt diesel from a partially blocked injector. (Would explain the lumpy idle too).

First thing to do is ensure diesel filter is renewed (just 'cause it was serviced, don't bank on it having been done) put some fuel treatment in (such as diesel magic), and if you have the kit, check for fault codes stored in the ECU.

Edit to add - I've also heard of EGR valves becoming gummed up, causing troubles on these...

Also, what is your driving style, and does it get much chance to be "exercised"?

If not, take it out for a bloody good thrashing - redline it in second and third a few times*

*obviously within the limits of the law and road safety :)

Edited by SC James

Hey James,

Thanks for the advice. I must admit, I have a rather aggressive driving style and the vehicle is "exercised" well. I have no kit to check the ECU myself, but shall take it to the local service centre for a looking over.

The engine is over-fuelling for some reason (too much fuel, not enough air)

As well as those already mentioned above faults including blocked air filter, air leak in the air induction, injector pump, incorrect timing belt tension or other timing issue could cause the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Any intake problem the engine man light would come on, due to the fact the lambda sensor would be over compensating. Oil level...nah. Codes will be worthless unless light is on, if its not then the codes are not present and just stored codes. I would have the egr cleaned, and then also have the throttle control motor reset/ basic reset and then horse it, diesels are not meant for around town driving.