BT Broadband!

SM17HY1546081268

Im about to throw the BT home hub out of the window, so if anyone in Leicestershire wants one!!! whistling.gif

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago the internet at my home went really slow (Wouldn't play any videos online without buffering all the way through!) And just general surfing on the net including this site was being noticeably slow.

There are quite a few devices connected to the wi-fi, (computer, laptop, phones etc.) And there's never been a problem!

So my dad called BT on Saturday to see if they could find any faults and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, hadn't exceeded the bandwidth or downloads etc. But what they did do was send out a new home-hub. This came today and I have set it up exactly as said in the manual - So first thing I did to check it out was get on youtube, played a music video and at first the same thing happened it started buffering after 3 seconds. But then I refreshed the page and the vid worked perfect! smiley_notworthy.gif

So just tried again, about an hour later and its gone really slow again.....

smiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gifsmiley_strop.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What speed are you getting?

http://www.speedtest.net/ - try this and see what you get back. It will run a test to the closest server (via ping) and then test your download and upload.

Ping: 34ms

Download Speed: 2.86 Mbps

Upload Speed: 0.85 Mbps

When I had BT broadband one of the first things I did was plug in a proper router instead of the supplied one.

Do you have your wifi protected by a password?

Also doesn't BT do a trick with it's modems to make them work as HotSpots for it's customers as well?

If you're having problems with the people on the phone try @BTCare on twitter, they're usually much more helpful thumbsup.gif

When I had BT broadband one of the first things I did was plug in a proper router instead of the supplied one.

Do you have your wifi protected by a password?

Also doesn't BT do a trick with it's modems to make them work as HotSpots for it's customers as well?

I shall have to give them a call see what the crack is smiley_strop.gif

And yes the wifi is password protected.

If you're having problems with the people on the phone try @BTCare on twitter, they're usually much more helpful thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that, I shall go down the twitter route if I get nowhere with the phone!

I've replaced my BT Business hub for a netgear router due to a big technical issue. I find the netgear router has been twice as fast.

I was having trouble with my BT doodat. It was mindnumbingly slow and the internet kept dropping out.

I phoned BT and they ran some checks. Phoned me back within the hour and said they'd found a fault at the exchange end and engineers were rectifying it.

Two days later there was no improvement.

I phoned them again and they dispatched an engineer to my HA (next day). He did lots of tests and discovered the problem was inside the house.

I had an old style wall box and cable. He replaced the lot and I've not had a problem since. All in all, I'm quite happy with BT. No, I don't work for them.

I had speed issues several times with BT and their customer service has been very poor. Experiencing poor speed and reporting it to them, they couldnt find anything wrong. I found a profile setting in the ADSL section of my router where for some reason they had linked a 500kb bandwidth profile to my connection which meant that even though my router was connecting at 2.5MB, I could only ever get 500kb of bandwidth. Adamant they could find nothing wrong I pointed this 500kb profile out and magically it was removed fixing my speed issues.

Having several poor performance issues with BT, I decided to leave BT when I moved house so for months prior to me movng knowing I was out of contract, every time they rang me from their offshore call centre asking if I wanted to 'take advantange of a cut price bandband offer' I said a 'No' very clearly. When I came to cancel it, I found that somehow I had had my contract extended and I had to pay cancellation charges as a result. Turned out that as I had said no via phone, they had renewed my broadband contract and sent me a letter asking me to contact them if I wanted to opt out of the contract extension. I dont recall the letter to be honest but I wouldnt have paid it much attention if they had of written to me because of the poor service. A VERY unethical practice in my opinion.

Edited by majordax

I had speed issues several times with BT and their customer service has been very poor. Experiencing poor speed and reporting it to them, they couldnt find anything wrong. I found a profile setting in the ADSL section of my router where for some reason they had linked a 500kb bandwidth profile to my connection which meant that even though my router was connecting at 2.5MB, I could only ever get 500kb of bandwidth. Adamant they could find nothing wrong I pointed this 500kb profile out and magically it was removed fixing my speed issues.

Having several poor performance issues with BT, I decided to leave BT when I moved house so for months prior to me movng knowing I was out of contract, every time they rang me from their offshore call centre asking if I wanted to 'take advantange of a cut price bandband offer' I said a 'No' very clearly. When I came to cancel it, I found that somehow I had had my contract extended and I had to pay cancellation charges as a result. Turned out that as I had said no via phone, they had renewed my broadband contract and sent me a letter asking me to contact them if I wanted to opt out of the contract extension. I dont recall the letter to be honest but I wouldnt have paid it much attention if they had of written to me because of the poor service. A VERY unethical practice in my opinion.

Wow! I hear so many problems with BT but I've had no problem whatsoever, quite the contrary. Perhaps a post code lottery????

Hmmm, thanks for the above comments guys!

I've managed to get some videos playing perfect on youtube, mainly just lyric videos, which is fine as I like to just have the song playing in the background, but I am getting some official music vids playing as well now!

Others though are still playing up wacko.gif