iMac losing internet after sleep

Sam Vimes

A few weeks back I got a new iMac and all was well, but a couple of days ago it started losing the internet connection when reactivated after being in sleep mode. It still appears to be connected to the router but no internet, there is no issue with iPhones, iPads, phones, laptops, PS3, they're all connected fine.

Only work-around I've found is to turn the wireless off then on, and it immediately connects to the router and has the internet again.

Any ideas why this may have just started happening..?

I understand it's a known Lion glitch.

A few things you can try quickly and easily include making sure you have all the updates for your new iMac, and deleting your wifi connection (and any others you might have) and then re-adding them.

In more detail, you can try this:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/06/lion-wi-fi-problems-solution-mac

Good luck.

(oh and remember, if it's a new Mac, you get 90 days of telephone support with Applecare)

Is it a wired or wireless router? I've had this one since just after Christmas, wired, and - touchwood - seems to be OK.

Any drop out (thankfully uncommon now) is due to the modem router rather than the Mac itself.

Just forced a software update and it would appear a fix has been released. Seems to work so far!

• Like 1

Yep was going to let you know, Apple just introduced a software update to OSX which fixes this issue. Looks like it's worked for you - fab!

Thanks LV, hopefully it'll work for the others who have been posting across the web too! :rolleyes:

I hate the fact that no install discs come with new Macs now. What I also hate is the fact that it appears you can't control things such as install and then downloads. I had to do a download the other week that included all sorts of foreign languages - over 1gb. What a waste of time and disc space! I really don't see myself working in any other language any time soon, let alone Farsi or whatever it was I had to download.

Oh - and when I do a shut down I really don't want to have to keep clicking that box to stop the same windows opening. I want it all to shut down, then start up again completely fresh.

I hate the fact that no install discs come with new Macs now. What I also hate is the fact that it appears you can't control things such as install and then downloads. I had to do a download the other week that included all sorts of foreign languages - over 1gb. What a waste of time and disc space! I really don't see myself working in any other language any time soon, let alone Farsi or whatever it was I had to download.

Oh - and when I do a shut down I really don't want to have to keep clicking that box to stop the same windows opening. I want it all to shut down, then start up again completely fresh.

Can I suggest a PC with Windows to solve the issues you describe?

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

You could use Ctrl + Alt/Option + Cmd + Eject if that's available to you...? Should shut it down straight away.

Can I suggest a PC with Windows to solve the issues you describe?

:rolleyes:

:strop: No.

You could use Ctrl + Alt/Option + Cmd + Eject if that's available to you...? Should shut it down straight away.

But will that stop the windows I had open before opening again on restart?

But will that stop the windows I had open before opening again on restart?

I just did it with Safari (with 3 tabs open), Spotify and iTunes all open, and when I rebooted it up only Mail was open (I assume because I have it set to open at log in).