Hyperextended elbow :(

Mike93

So I hyper-extended my elbow last night.. got caught in an arm bar, the guy didn't feel me tap..

I should have thought to tap the mat but didn't think quick enough or couldn't.. It happened too fast..

Not sure how long I'll have to take off fitness because of it.. Any ideas to help with the healing process? I had a hot bath when I got in but then found out it's better to be icing it...

Cheers for the help! Mike

Go and see the doctor. Make sure it isn't anything serious. Other than that plenty of rest and keep the ice on it.

Over the counter anti inflamatories ie Ibuprofen or diclofenac ,will help pain and reduce inflammation .Probably a good idea to visit your GP just to be sure.I broke my elbow ,a very minor break but I couldn't straighten it for over two years ,and it was thought I never would again ,then one day I realized it wasn't bent any more ! It's best not to take chances .

Thanks for the advice guys, I often brush off the doctors since it seems habit for them to tell you what you already know and just try and get you out of the room as quick as they can with out a word.

Wont do anything physical tonight.. but will try and get an emergency appointment tomorrow before resuming anything..

Just hope this Doesn't knock my chances for becoming a special and in the future a PC.. Too many things going badly!

Cheers again, Mike

• 5 months later...

If you have a full range of movement in your elbow i.e you can fully bend and straighten and turn your hand so palm faces up to the celiling and then turn your palm over so it faces floww its unlikely youve done anything too serious. Most elbows get Xrayed to exclude the more minor fractures and if your movement if affected you definitely deserve an xray with injuries like that you probably better off going to a minor injuries unit or a A&E as we dela better with truamatic injuries than GP's!

Put your injured elbow on the bar at your local pub, get a pint of your favourite tipple and raise it to your mouth gulping down the contents until gone. If you can do this without dropping it, repeat again and again until the pain goes away. :whistle: :D

But seriously, do visit your GP/hospital for advice and I hope you get better soon.

bit of an old thread!

RICE is a good mnemonic for this,

Rest, -fairly obvious

Ice, - fairly obvious

Compression, -you should be able to get compression bandages from a pharmacy, just ensure when applying that there is still adequate bloodflow by squeezing your fingertips and seeing how long it takes for the blood to return.

and Elevation.

All providing nothing is broken there that is! If its still a problem at the moment then pop on over to your nearest Urgent Care Centre (usually stuck on the side of an A&E) for an X-ray and possible referral to physio.

Good Luck!

Edited by jvt1

bit of an old thread!

RICE is a good mnemonic for this,

Rest, -fairly obvious

Ice, - fairly obvious

Compression, -you should be able to get compression bandages from a pharmacy, just ensure when applying that there is still adequate bloodflow by squeezing your fingertips and seeing how long it takes for the blood to return.

and Elevation.

All providing nothing is broken there that is! If its still a problem at the moment then pop on over to your nearest Urgent Care Centre (usually stuck on the side of an A&E) for an X-ray and possible referral to physio.

Good Luck!

Could I ask please? why would he need to elevate if no bleeding?

Could I ask please? why would he need to elevate if no bleeding?

Elevation is supposed to reduce inflammation/swelling :)

Elevation is supposed to reduce inflammation/swelling :)

Really? thanks, Did not know that. :)

Really? thanks, Did not know that. :)

It is supposed to increase the flow of de-oxygenated/ venous) blood away from the area therefore aiming to reduce the inflammation/swelling and therefore pain.

Edited by jvt1
  • Like 1