Education

MindTheGap

• Global Moderators

Right, I'm at a dead-end right now. I'm currently just over halfway through my AS levels in a school sixth form and I hate it. Every minute of every day of it.

We're treated like school property I suppose is the biggest problem, now I know one place (and indeed one person) shouldn't sway my opinion on education, but they've put me off, in that they never consult me, I've raised this in an email to the head of sixth and he's just ignored it, I'm kept completely in the dark and he just goes straight to my mother, which let's just say, at my age, isn't her concern (statutory duty).

Ideally what I'd like to do in life is become a reg (long way off that, so let's not entertain that idea), I'd work if I could, nowhere is recruiting. I've looked at countless apprenticeships and nothing has caught my eye, I just did A-Levels because they were an 'easy' option, as in to say not hard work and they were really the only choice I left open for myself. My mother's threatening to kick me out if I leave sixth form now, understandably, but my issue is if I carry on like this I know I'll be booted out, and I don't want that to happen...

I don't really know what to do :/

*Advice* stick with it until you find something else.

Don't let your self fall into a cycle of doing nothing. I left school during A-levels, and didn't have much to do at the time, luckily I found a job.

I do not think you should stick with A-levels if its not something that interests you. If your not cut out for it, speak to your mum properly. Explain to her how you feel, show her your making an informed decision. Show her you have made enquiries with other things, most importantly show her your being responsible with your decision.

Obviously I don't know you and thus I don't know what your situation is like.

What I, personally, would consider is to just try to stick with it.

Are there any subjects you would have rather taken? You could always switch at the end of the year, although it could mean you spend another year at sixth form if you want to get the full A level rather than just the AS.

Can you go and talk in person to your head of sixth, that way he can't avoid the email? Do you have a tutor for your tutor group, if your sixth form does that? If you can speak to this person it would be a good idea. Do you have a "house" structure in your sixth form, could you go and see your head of house if you do?

As hopeless_place has said you need to be careful about falling into the trap of leaving and then ending up doing nothing.

I know all I have ever wanted to do is join the police, barring the occasional feeling of wanting to join the marines. I didn't want to have to stay in education and wanted to go out and get a job. Obviously as for me the economic issues hit at a time of me leaving school. As a result I have decided to go to university and try to get some more qualifications and experience, meet new people have some fun. Is further higher education something you would be interested in? Is this something that you believe could help you concentrate and push yourself and aim towards? I know some forces are offering a public services type course which will help you massively when recruitment opens. This could be something to consider. I don't know much about them as I am studying the art of colouring in (Geography),

What are your strengths in your or other opinions? Would an office based apprenticeship or a more active on such as mechanics be something you were more interested in. I have a couple of good friends who have both chosen these options having been in a similar situation with hating every day at sixth form and are now doing very well for themselves, one in fact is constantly making me feel as if I chose the wrong option.

Hope this helps, you are welcome to contact me by pm, or continue on here if you want!

Matt

We're in the same position, Mike.

I already left my AS last year. My Mum fell ill and I was studying in a different county, as we all planned to move up. When we couldn't move up, I just couldn't carry on.

I've returned this year and it just doesn't interest me. I want to be getting out there and working. I want to be living.

I applied to become a PCSO and am hoping this comes through for me. It would be the first time something has, believe me.

Have you considered working in a Care Home?

I did for five months and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can often get a fair amount of qualifications and training doing so. It's not the most glamorous of jobs, but I always felt happy that I'd made a difference to someone's life.

ITaylor

Stick at it, at least until the end of the year. Get your AS's if nothing else. After that, find another college if you still feel the same way.

My friend group had alot of similar issues over the past couple of years when we were in Sixth Form. I personally didn't, but some of my closest mates had issues where they head of our year wouldn't listen to tem, and tried everything possible to stop a couple of them leaving.

A good tactic to try is to go above their heads- Go to someone in your local council or something and let them know about your issues, or alternatively- speak to your tutor, or head of year directly. Your tutor should be the first port of call if you have one. They're better at sorting out your issues than an email. Failing that, speak to the head of year/sixth form directly- They're forced to answer your questions that way.

Further, just talk to your mum about it. Have a sit down with her and explain that you're simply not happy there, that you want to stick at it (if you do), but the college is making it difficult for you. She should understand. I expect the threat of kickign you out is borne of wanting what's best for you, and that's the way she deems best to motivate you, in this particular instance. I've had similar threats, and my brother has too- 'If you don't want to do any revision, drop out, get a job, move out' etc. It's unlilkely she genuinely wants to kick you out, especially if you're unhappy.

PM me if you need.

All the best

You know my feelings - and I've been blunter with you. You've done too much and come to far to throw it all away now.

Stick at it, grit your teeth, finish schooling, do as well as you can. Do the best you can to get the best you can. It's not going to do you any real favours I think to jack it in after all this time now.

• Like 4

I'm completely with David on this one - if you can, stick at it. It will be a hard graft, but so worth it in the long run.

Fill your life outside of school with things you want to do, and focus on getting the best grades possible.

What makes you think you would get booted out if things continue? You disliking school wouldn't get you kicked out.

Also, if your police ambitions don't come through, or are cut short for any reason, A levels are a great thing to fall back on. Say for example aged 30 you decide you want to do a degree to get ahead/get that promotion at work. If you don't have A levels you would have to go through doing them first, and then the degree which would be time consuming and expensive whilst in work.

Seriously, I would stick with it. If you want any help academically PM me as it's one of my strengths and I'm more than happy to help (I'm currently studying for a degree in my free time so am in the right frame of mind as well!)

• 3 months later...
  • Global Moderators

Right, so what happened some months on - a month after posting this I went into the Sixth Form and was told basically they were going to kick me out as soon as possible - so I walked, right or wrong I've done it now, for the last 3 months I've been hunting for things to do and I've finally found some stuff and a field I'm interested in (Telecommunications and Networking) and I've got a phone interview with a large Telco employer today.

Now thanks everybody who offered me advice here and if the option to stay at it was there I'd have taken it, but it wasn't! I don't regret it mind, I finally realised exactly why it's important to work and what it's like not to have everything provided for you - also gave me more chances to realise who I am and exactly what I can do!

Wish me luck :)

Best of luck. Don't forget pen and paper.

Don't be false or force laughter. Engage and sound interested without being gushy or over-enthusiastic. Don't make stuff up and if you don't understand something, ask them to clarify. If you don't know an answer, say so, but venture an opinion/thought and explain it.