Making hy home more secure?

GodAtum

I was reading an article about the rise in "lock snapping burglaries". How could I make my home more secure? Would putting armored doors and armored windows work?

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GodAtum

• Administrative Account

• oddbod

• Soap

It really does depend on how many entry points your property has. For example you may have a fairly robust solid wood front door, with re-enforced frame, hinge bolts and multiple 7 lever deadlocks. But if you have got a PVC back door, like many house owners have then that's going to be the point of entry for the burglar. It's usually at the rear of the property, thus secluded and will probably have the type of lock vulnerable to this type of attack.

As well as beefing up the security of entry points consider additional visible security options such as Alarms and CCTV. These extras will put off the majority opportunist burglars.

The most determined burglar will circumvent the above and will eventually gain entry. It's then probably then worth investing in a decent safe for storing your small valuables and don't leave your car keys in an easily accessible place.

Hope the above helps :) I am reluctant to discuss my personal security situation on a open forum but the above advice is publicly available.

Edited by Markdn

How long is a piece of string? :)

Obviously I could pontificate about this all day, and it depends on so many factors, budget, real threat v perceived etc but the short answer is if your home was secure before burglars figured out how to 'snap locks' then just replace the locks with snap-proof ones.

Plenty of good ones out there, do a Google.

If reading the articles has caused you to do a more thorough threat assessment of your home and you've found a number of areas of concern, post some more info below or PM me

Thanks for the advice. Staying in a hotel for the past few weeks as given me ideas. I like the thick, fire-proof doors to the room that takes two hands to open! Plus I like the idea of an electronic card-key system.

No lock snapping refers to Euro cylinder type locks. these are normally found on uPVC doors. I won't detail exactly how it works but basically the lock once "snapped" gives very easy access to the bolt retraction actuator in the door which is very simple to actuate. Once the bolts are retracted in the door, you have access to the house. Its not a fault with the door itself but the lock. The best thing to do is to replace the lock with one which is British Standard Approved. You can get them on e-bay. Yale, UAP and other big manufactures make them. They get around the problem giving the lock a weak point so it snaps off in the wrong place protecting the actuator from thieves. Your key should still work but you will need a new lock. Unfortunately this is the best solution and euro cylinders are by default a bad design. You should look for a lock which is anti-bump, anti-snap, anti-drill and anti-pick. They are very easy to replace. All you have to do is measure up your old lock, order the same size and put the new lock in the door. You can get it out, there is a single securing bolt on the side of the door at the lock's height. This is actually the problem with it it, the bolt creates a sort of pivot. Also with the Euro cylinders (although the fire service recommends them) I'd steer clear of ones which have thumb turners for the inside. They can be manipulated open without the key fairly easily.

If you have a timber door with a traditional mortice and night latch combo then there is still stuff you can do. A great thing to do is make sure all your locks conform to British standards. The mortice lock should be a curtained 5 lever deadlock. A lot of night latches are vulnerable to shimming attacks so look for one that isn't. Check your hinges, are they BS or not? If not you can replace them, although another really cheap solution are hinge bolts. Once the door is shut they make the hinge side of the door, much much stronger. Also you can install a London bar and Birmingham bar. The London bar fits on the door frame on the lock side. It stops the frame from splitting so it makes the door harder to kick in. The Birmingham bar does the same thing but on the hinge side of the door. Again making the door very hard to kick in. Unfortunately with those installed what tends to happen is that the door splits about the mortice lock. So a mortice reinforcer can be used.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Staying in a hotel for the past few weeks as given me ideas. I like the thick, fire-proof doors to the room that takes two hands to open! Plus I like the idea of an electronic card-key system.

Card Keys are not for securing a property. They are used in hotels as they are "Access Control". You can easily set access times and expire/disable the cards if they go missing - hence why they are used in hotels. Your hotel room is not a secure place and these types of locks can be defeated very easy (google and see!).

You could try locking your front door when you go to bed,unlike someone not a million miles away ! Fortunately not a lot was stolen ,but lesson learnt .

I was reading an article about the rise in "lock snapping burglaries". How could I make my home more secure? Would putting armored doors and armored windows work?

If you're worried about a lock snapping burglary then replace your lock cylinders with ones which are non-snappable. Cheap and easy.

ABS do some supposedly good ones..

The toughest doors are geenerally FearFree which they seem to put on all the drug dealers houses :)

• 3 weeks later...

You can get anti-bump/snap locks on ebay easily, cheaply and very easy to change them yourself. You can also get them as the locks that use the square keys which are supposed to be near impossible to pick.

I have recently heard about this lock snapping thing. I thought i had good locks as its a multi point locking system but its all on the one euro cylinder that can be opened in about 30 seconds i was quite shocked ;). I do have good security, I have good security lighting front & Back & CCTV, Also monitored alarm with 2 way audio link so they can listen & Speak in to house when alarm goes off. They can also look at my cctv & i can see it on my iPhone. But the first line of defence is good locks as this is what is always is advised. You have got to make it difficult for the burglar so they go somewhere else

I have had a look round on line as i am now upgrading my locks & i hope a lot of you are as well after seeing how easy it is. I take it a lot of you have responded to a few burglaries using this method.? Looking online the one what that ticks all the boxes & is spot on is ABS

ABS Secure

Edited by Damsel
Post edited & restored

How long is a piece of string? :rolleyes:

100yds long before it it cut into smaller lengths for retail sale. smile.gif

The most important security issue as far as the jobs I attend (Burglary Other) would be the security of sheds and outbuildings, start with them first.

Where has my post gone this morning did i do something wrong :rolleyes:

Sorry I ment to message you but I was leaving for work and then I forgot. Mea culpa.

The reason was there was too much operational information in there, and there was also a link to a firm which I couldn't determine was posted in good faith or not, so erred on the side of (our) caution.

Sorry I ment to message you but I was leaving for work and then I forgot. Mea culpa.

The reason was there was too much operational information in there, and there was also a link to a firm which I couldn't determine was posted in good faith or not, so erred on the side of (our) caution.

No problems, I can understand you dont want a link to a video that shows you how to break into somebody's house on police forum, I just thought if people see it they would take action. I know i have when i saw how easy it was

I put the link to ABS locks (Manufacturer) as they are good & thats what i am changing mine too Hades said they where good on a previous post. They can be bought on ebay & other online shops

:p

No problems, I can understand you dont want a link to a video that shows you how to break into somebody's house on police forum, I just thought if people see it they would take action. I know i have when i saw how easy it was

I put the link to ABS locks (Manufacturer) as they are good & thats what i am changing mine too Hades said they where good on a previous post. They can be bought on ebay & other online shops

:D

I've edited your original post to remove the links to the videos, like you say, we really don't want to be giving out that kind of advice on here :D

I've restored the link to ABS Locks though.