Secondhand Blackberry?

Apparently, all the kids these days have Blackberry phones. Not sure why when iPhones are so much better :drinking:

Anyway a family member who is 14 is desperate to get one, but knowing nothing about Blackberry's I am looking for a bit of advice. If I had say £40-£60 budget, what sort of phone should I be looking for, or is there nothing out there for that sort of budget? I am of course thinking second hand, eBay or whatever, unless anyone has a better idea?

You should be able to get an 8900 for that, it is 2G only but as the user probably only wants it for BBM it will be fine!

I actually GAVE one of these away a few weeks ago!

As IanW has said above, go for the 8900, I had that when the blackberry craze kicked in and it suited my needs at the time, at the age of 14 they'll only want it for BBM and the 8900 is perfect for that!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackberry-Curve-8900-Smartphone-Low-Starting-Price-L-K-/320833925124?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item4ab3313004

This one seems ok, slight chip to the rear cover but that can be replaced quite cheap!

As IanW has said above, go for the 8900, I had that when the blackberry craze kicked in and it suited my needs at the time, at the age of 14 they'll only want it for BBM and the 8900 is perfect for that!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackberry-Curve-8900-Smartphone-Low-Starting-Price-L-K-/320833925124?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item4ab3313004

This one seems ok, slight chip to the rear cover but that can be replaced quite cheap!

I would steer clear of the above one, as it has a track ball rather than a track pad. Trackballs gather dust underneath that eventually stop them from working - even when I got them new they would never last the 18 month length of my contract, so buying one second hand is asking for trouble. Make sure it has a trackpad.

Trackball:

ball.jpg

Trackpad:

imagesqtbnANd9GcT8bg0Gn1XaiKzigHMN2.jpg

As for where to get a second hand one I'm not sure, but I'll keep my beady eyes peeled!

The 8900 has a better trackball than the earlier ones, for that sort of budget it would be either an 8520, with track pad, or the 8900, and the 8900 is the far superior phone, with GPS, better camera etc...

The 8900 has a better trackball than the earlier ones, for that sort of budget it would be either an 8520, with track pad, or the 8900, and the 8900 is the far superior phone, with GPS, better camera etc...

Have to agree with the above, the 8900 I had was second hand from eBay and I never once had a problem with the trackball (not to say its unheard of though)

The 8520 is also a good choice for the 14 year old user, and it has trackpad - Not sure how much they go for though, should be able to pick a good condition one on eBay for the top end of your budget.

Have to agree with the above, the 8900 I had was second hand from eBay and I never once had a problem with the trackball (not to say its unheard of though)

The 8520 is also a good choice for the 14 year old user, and it has trackpad - Not sure how much they go for though, should be able to pick a good condition one on eBay for the top end of your budget.

The 8520 is £109.95 on PAYG from Carphone Warehouse, whcih isn't bad although the OS is ancient so it cant get security updates. I have the version after the 8520, the 9300. That's £139.95, and it's relatively new with only one model after that!

• 3 weeks later...