Ford Ka... any good? Reviews, thoughts...

OK so as many will know I'm a lifetime BMW lover, but since I started using a scooter to get to and from work (that's another story), my lovely beemer just sits on the drive looking unloved, and I hardly ever make use of it. So it is up for sale so someone else can enjoy it (ask me if you want details). However I still need a car because, well, there are times when one needs a car.

I've been looking to buy something small, cheap to run, and reliable. I also don't want something that looks crap because I do still have a shred of self-esteem (even though I use a scooter :aok:)

So I've been thinking about getting a Ford Ka, one of the new style ones. The 1.2L version is very cheap to run and insure, and road tax is just £30 a year. I'd want the Zetec version because it has a few more features.

For those not in the know, the new Ka looks like this:

Ford-Ka-1.2-Zetec-21924.jpg

I'm looking for advice on this motor, especially from anyone who has got one, or driven one. I'm looking to pay between £5K and £6K for one on a 58, 09 or 59 plate. I'm going to take one out for a test drive in the next few days to see if it'll be bearable - especially after many years driving a BMW...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nim

• Adamski1546081335

How often would you genuintley use it mind? Is it worth not owning a car and just hiring a car on those occasions or is it comething you could do with having avaliable to use at a moment's notice? Even if you need one for the latter, depending where you live this lot might be able to help: http://www.zipcar.co.uk/ or http://www.carplus.o...a-car-club-car/

Or this could help if you sell or keep: http://www.whipcar.com/

Purely personal opinion but for a vehicle that's only going to get used occasionally I'd buy something much older which very little depreciation - mpg isn't really going to be too much of an issue if you only do limited mileage and without being cynical, any car with £30 Vehicle Excise Duty now won't have it in the future as the government will want to push emissions limits downwards. Also, presuming you have a good driving record, will something like a 5 year old Ford Focus (just as an example) cost significantly more to insure than this Ford Ka?

Another thing to consider is if you keep your BMW for say the next three years, will it work out any more expensive than replacing it with the Ford Ka (after accounting for depreciation, which you've taken the hit on with the BMW and would be doing the same with the Ka).

Also, another thing which I keep telling people and Parkers agree with, don't get lured into buying a diesel for perceived cost saving - they only work out cheaper with big mileages or ifbought as a company car for tax reasons. Only other reason to buy diesel is that you prefer it - will find a link for this later.

Really, I've hardly helped you here at all, but hopefully I've given you something to think about - what's the details/age/condition of your BMW?

Edited by fruitandveg
  • Like 1

I am a car salesman and have driven all types of cars, The Ka is based on the same platform as the Fiat Panda and the Fiat 500. The ka is a very nice car to drive. I personally would recommend the 500 mainly because it has a nicer interior and the resale values are better than the ka's. The 500 also has low insurance group and £30 a year to road tax.

The other alternative is getting somthing such as a focus and it isnt that much older (if at all) than a ka of the same age and of a higher spec

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201139418765070/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/6000/model/focus/make/ford/postcode/rg193xn/page/2/quicksearch/true/radius/1500?logcode=p

Yes the road tax is more, but then again, the government may put up road tax for the £30 band.

I considered a Ka as my first motor; aside from the fact that the inside makes an attempt to look VERY high-tech (and fails in true Ford fashion), it's a pretty damn good car. Cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to tax, every man and his dog can fix one, VERY economical and a reasonable amount of space to boot in the boot (excuse the expression...).

Again, thinking about resale value, Ford Ka's will drop quickly.

How about a Yaris? Toyota IQ?

I do think a Fiat 500 would be a good buy if you can find one within your price bracket.

Does it have a light saber holder?

Personally I will never willingly own another Ford. But that's just my personal opinion. If I was to go to a compact it would be a Corsa or a Polo. What about a VW Fox?

What about a VW Fox?

I'd say no to a Fox, purely because of their shape. But Polo is a definate goer. I owned one as my first car, and had two as courtesy cars. They're genuinely alright - clutch is a bit squishy but then some people like that. The only thing that might bite you on the rump is the servicing costs - VW aren't exactly cheap...

I'd much rather own a VW than a Ford (and still do! Love my Golf).

Has long has your not looking for a small BMW in a ford KA, it will be fine.

If it was my money I would go with Merlin and Adamski on this one, the VW polo is a great little car, I had one as a courtesy car while my golf was being serviced and I was very impressed by it. It was well made, comfortable and fairly spacious for its size, if I ever need a smaller car that is the car I think I will be looking at.

My sister has a new Ka, replaced her Fiesta (generally horrid), which replaced a Polo (expensive to run) which replaced a Corsa (generally more horrid than the Fiesta).

She uses it every day to get to work, totally loves it and says it's much 'nicer' than any of her previous motors

Then again she is a little simple :D

I'm sure you've done plenty of homework LV, if it's reached the point where you're posting on here and risking the barrage of abuse then you must be happy with what you've found so far, compared to everything else out there - if the test drive goes OK then go for it.

• Like 1

Not even ashamed to admit the new KA looks a lot lot better than the old one..

Thanks everyone for the replies. Well, not you Cuddles. See me in my office :ermm:

Well things moved very quickly, my BMW sold within 24 hours of sticking it on auto trader and so I started looking for a Ka... found one which seemed to fit the bill down in Crayford, Kent (never heard of the place before!), so took a gamble on it, took the train down there with my £6K cash in my rucksack (not a good day to get mugged :whistle: ) and ended up buying it and driving it back yesterday.

I have to say, so far I'm pretty impressed. It's a nice solid drive, quite happily sat at 70-80 MPH on the motorway, and did 49.4 MPG on the journey! It's a Zetec so it has electric windows, aircon, alloy wheels and all that. Obviously not a BMW in build quality terms but it'll do for me just now. Until I win the lottery at least.

Anyway, here it is (NO ITS NOT BLOODY PINK ITS JUST THE LIGHTING!!!)...

post-1-0-16522800-1326354464_thumb.jpeg