Minibus Theory Test

Sam Vimes

I have been roped into becoming a van driver at work because we don't have enough of them, the main reason being the van category isn't automatically put on licences these days and I'm young enough not to automatically have it... Only the old sweats have the vans these days.

Which means despite being an advanced pursuit driver, having sat a theory and hazard perception test for my car as well as for my motorcycle category, I now have to sit a third hazard perception and theory test for the van and I get the delight of doing it in my spare time from my own pocket. I've just had my study material through at work;

A 481 page theory test book for drivers of large vehicles

A 344 page guide to driving buses and coaches

A hazard perception DVD

A theory test CD-ROM

A copy of the Highway Code

Now of course I obviously have the time to sit and read all of that lovely lot at home, just to enable me to get shafted for more Public Order duties, however I see the questions are split into bus, lorry and both. My question is (since no-one at work knows) do I have to learn the lorry questions? Or is the HGV and PCV test separate?

I don't really see the point in knowing the minimum diameter of rope that should be used to secure a load of wire ropes, or what the best knot to use when roping down a load is... (it's a dolly knot by the way, no idea what one of them is...)

Has anyone had the van category added and sat the theory test for it? Should I just send this all back to Driving School with a "No thanks" note attached?! :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sam Vimes

• jonnym

• -AJ

• eddie_wakey

. You can drive a van on a B licence can't you :)

Edited by Wrighty112

Woow! I'm in the same boat as you - if you mean D1 instead of C.........we need a D1 to drive our PSU vans.

Forget all that. Get a hazard perception DVD but its the same as the car test. The theory is the different to car and lorry. It is a PCV specific test - even if you are getting a D1 licence you still do the full PCV theory despite most not applying to you. There is a book with all the questions that is handy.

I have downloaded an app on my blackberry with all the questions on and on the way in I sit and do the questions. Iphone has it too etc etc. There are only so many questions so you can on the whole get away with knowing what the answer is simply because you have done the question before!

In terms of all the books etc, I would say hazard perception DVD and PCV theory question book (or an app). Everything else you can get if you want but deffo not needed. My theory is monday!

You can drive a van on a B licence can't you :)

I think here it means a van that is too heavy for a normal B licence OR simply the D1 licence.

I did the PCV and LGV theory tests and hazard perception.

Hazard perception is the same - but you still need to do it twice!

Theory test is different from the car and from LGV & PCV, about 40% of the questions are specific to that type of vehicle.

I know most of the questions are pointless considering what you are going to be doing but look at it like when you retire if you really want....you could be a bus or lorry driver, waaaaw

I dont know for definate but i have just done my hgv 2 theory test and some of the questions were about the colour of air lines attached to a trailer etc. which has nothing to do with rigid lorrys .

so might be a good idea to look at them.

plus you would still want to secure a load inside a van

Question..

When you say work... i take it you mean Police?

Why are you paying for it yourself? and in your own time?

Own time i can sorta imagine, but in my force, the force does the D1 test themselves, and would never ask you to pay for it (last time i priced it up it was around £1100)!

Yep it's job, and don't ask.. They've only just realised they're desperately short of drivers since they've not run courses because of the requirement for younger people to have to do a theory and DSA practical test before going for the police course... They've even been buying the small prisoner vans (the little Peugeots) which can be driven on a car licence to avoid the shortfall of van drivers.

But now they've realised they still need carrier drivers and large prisoner vans and some stink has been kicked up at Supt level and above... Just, don't ask!

Anyway, yes it's the D1 category. I know the hazard test is the same, I just wasn't sure if I can ignore revising the questions to do with HGV. As to securing loads, I'm hoping the PCs I'm transporting can secure themselves! :)

Anyway, yes it's the D1 category. I know the hazard test is the same, I just wasn't sure if I can ignore revising the questions to do with HGV. As to securing loads, I'm hoping the PCs I'm transporting can secure themselves! :)

Ignore all the HGV questions as you are doing the D1 test (which is the PCV test).

You will no doubt know what I mean when you've done a few questions but the safety and comfort of your passengers are the primary concern at all times (even on a immediate response!!)

Ignore all the HGV questions as you are doing the D1 test (which is the PCV test).

You will no doubt know what I mean when you've done a few questions but the safety and comfort of your passengers are the primary concern at all times (even on a immediate response!!)

Someone obviously forgot to tell that to the drivers I've been with over the years! :p

Thanks for the tip of the app, have put a PCV theory test app on the phone; brill suggestion. :)

If the force wanted me to pay for my own test because they've messed up and are in the mire, I'm rather afraid that I'd be shoving the DVD somewhere that the sun doesn't shine. Let's see them perceive that as a hazard! huh.gif

That's a liberty in my book, and I'd be telling them where to go.

1323531851[/url]' post='2162822']

If the force wanted me to pay for my own test because they've messed up and are in the mire, I'm rather afraid that I'd be shoving the DVD somewhere that the sun doesn't shine. Let's see them perceive that as a hazard! huh.gif

That's a liberty in my book, and I'd be telling them where to go.

Agreed!

The cost bit is up in the air at the moment, I've literally just had the pack through.... There is talk of an agreement with a local training provider for the DSA test but it's yet to be agreed so I'm told.

As it stands costs will have to be paid then recouped via an expenses form which if normal expenses are anything to go by you probably won't see back this side of 2013!

• 2 months later...

The cost bit is up in the air at the moment, I've literally just had the pack through.... There is talk of an agreement with a local training provider for the DSA test but it's yet to be agreed so I'm told.

As it stands costs will have to be paid then recouped via an expenses form which if normal expenses are anything to go by you probably won't see back this side of 2013!

How you doing with this?

I have my D1 practical test this Wednesday, then if all goes well, my force assessment and conversion on Thursday!

Passed the theory and hazard test... Theory test was in and out in 16 minutes, apparently it's 115 mins long! With a score of 91/100 it obviously isn't hard!

Waiting on my licence acquisition course which will be whenever they get round to it... so no time soon!