Insurance without asking?

Gelf

Hi All,

I have just had a bank statement through and seen that a large sum of money has gone from my account via card transaction.

It has been taken by the car insurance company that I was insured with last year (30/10/2010-30/10/2011) im guessing that they have renewed my policy without telling me, I have had no renewal letter or documents through the post or by email.

I will be ringing them up tomorrow morning to give them a piece of my mind but before I do I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what my rights are? can they just take my money without asking?

FYI - They took the money over 20 days ago from a savings account that I rarely check and have only just seen this.

When you take out insurance in the first instance it often says that it will be renewed automatically unless you say not to. You might have signed to that.

you usually only have 14 days to cancel with a small admin fee only.

over 14 days, they charge you pro-rata for any insurance lapsed.

i think this is good because it has stopped ppl from driving without insurance accidentally.

no pount giving them a piece of your mind because, as said, you will have signed up to it.

As has been said, automatic renewal is often the case. What were you planning to do if you didn't want it renewed? Out of interest... Because as far as you knew you had no insurance for 20 days..?

Edited by Million

As has been said, automatic renewal is often the case. What were you planning to do if you didn't want it renewed? Out of interest... Because as far as you knew you had no insurance for 20 days..?

I got insurance with someone else that was cheaper.

Its not often the case, in all the years that I have been driving I have never had it happen before, and neither have the 3 guys I am at work with, and we have about 60 years of motoring between us.

I am aware it can happen, and I did check my account at the time of renewal and nothing was gone.

It just seems very fishy to me that I have had no renewal letter, no documents through the post at all, and the money was taken 5 days after the renewal date.

Its not often the case, in all the years that I have been driving I have never had it happen before, and neither have the 3 guys I am at work with, and we have about 60 years of motoring between us.

No it really is often the case. All the insurers I have ever used have this clause.

I got insurance with someone else that was cheaper.

I am aware it can happen, and I did check my account at the time of renewal and nothing was gone.

It just seems very fishy to me that I have had no renewal letter, no documents through the post at all, and the money was taken 5 days after the renewal date.

I know the admiral group (admiral, elephant, bell) automatically renew, but you should've recieved a pack containing new insurance certificate in the post 3-4 weeks before it was due for renewal valid for the next year, phone them up and ask... it may just be the case it was lost in the post, i know my renewal documents have never been sent recorded/special delivery so they wouldn't know you haven't received any, and if you don't tell them they would've just taken the money. If i can remember back to when i did law, since you already accepted the renewal in your initial contract, even if the renewal documents didn't arrive, the postal rule would be in effect so they wouldn't have done anything legally wrong in taking your money you've already agreed to; but it's been a while since i've done law, so the postal rule might not even apply at all since you've already agreed, which again would mean they haven't done anything wrong

Edited by andyfofo

Ok, just spoke to a nice lady on the phone who refunded all of the money back onto my card :)

She phoned the MIB and saw that I had it insured with someone else as well and was happy to give me my money back, she did say that I had been sent a renewal and certificate out, but I have never received them, strange. Im a happy man tho as I guess I should have made more effort to make sure it wasnt being renewed.

I know someone who had the opposite happen; they received a reminder from a company that their insurance was due for renewal and that if they wanted to stay with them and there were no changes then they had to do nothing. Brilliant!

Roll on 11 months and they realised that they hadn't received a reminder for the new year. They phoned up the company and asked where their reminder was... and were told that they weren't insured with them! Turns out they had the bank details wrong and so couldn't take the money and didn't bother writing to tell them this so hadn't renewed the insurance and they'd driven without for nearly a year...