Change of address - Taxing

carty23

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I have just recently moved house from Merseyside to the West Midlands.

I have applied online to change my address on my driving licence, and the DVLA informed me it has been sent for validation checks and that my new licence should arrive in the post within 10 days.

Now, my vehicle tax disk expires 30th this month. It states that I cannot apply to renew my tax disc online because the address on the V5 Certificate is not the same as my current address. It tells me to fill in section 6 of my V5 (New keeper or change of address) and to send it with my application for tax. So if I go to the post office tomorrow, do I just inform them that I have changed my address and give them the V5? Or do I have to send the V5 off to DVLA?

Also, my dads car tax expires at the end of this month too. If I take all the relevant documentation along with me, can I tax my dads car in person or does he have to do it himself?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris.

P.s just realised I've put this in the Market place rather than help me :)

Edited by carty23

Can you take it to your local dvla office?You should be ableno give the v 5 to them to update it, and ten they should print you a tax disk while your there?!

My local DVLA office is a good 20 miles away so I'd rather just take it down to the post office in town :unsure:

I just don't want to look like a lemon if they say I can't tax my vehicle! lol

Edited by carty23

you can tax your dads car no problem as long as you have the MOT and insurance certificates.

with regards to your all you need do is send the V5 change of details slip away, keep the rest and take take the green slip into the post office along with the MOT and insurance and pretend you just bought the car. simples.

D'Oh! Moved to Help me thumbsup.gif

I did wonder why you were trying to sell us a change of address :)

• Global Moderators

My local DVLA office is a good 20 miles away so I'd rather just take it down to the post office in town :huh:

I just don't want to look like a lemon if they say I can't tax my vehicle! lol

Local DVLA office is near my house, if it's Garretts Green, if you do decide to take the trek down, pop in and see me on your way :help: