iphone / icloud update - photos gone!

Merlin820

A friend of mine with an iphone has just done an icloud update and now has lost all her photos, about 1100. I don't think she had her phone backed up to itunes but I might be wrong. Not having an iphone I don't know so thought I would ask the experts, is there anything she can try at this point, other than having a breakdown?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Merlin820

• Bas

• marksie1988

• Javioli

Has she logged into her icloud account via a PC or MAC to double check if they are there?

Has she logged into her icloud account via a PC or MAC to double check if they are there?

Thanks. I've sent her a text. I'll let you know.

From what I can make out, iCloud doesn't back up your photos per se - it keeps a rolling back up (about 1000) of your photos and pushes them to your other apple devices (should you have any others).

However, iCloud does save photos to a folder on your PC so they should back up to there.

Not really an answer for you but I've been trying to work out the benefits of iCloud for those, like me, who only have one device.

I preferred plugging it in and going via iTunes, but once iCloud is activated/set up, this facility is removed as iTunes won't recognise my phone!

From what I can make out, iCloud doesn't back up your photos per se - it keeps a rolling back up (about 1000) of your photos and pushes them to your other apple devices (should you have any others).

However, iCloud does save photos to a folder on your PC so they should back up to there.

Not really an answer for you but I've been trying to work out the benefits of iCloud for those, like me, who only have one device.

I preferred plugging it in and going via iTunes, but once iCloud is activated/set up, this facility is removed as iTunes won't recognise my phone!

Even with iCloud you are still able to backup and sync your phone to your PC or MAC so the fact that yours isnt working must be an issue with your PC/ iPhone.

iCloud is not a replacement for backing up your phone / Syncing your phone, you still need to sync your phone with a pc or mac and back it up (this can be done wireless now)

all that iCloud is designed to do is have the ability to share your data on multiple devices unless you specifically select the "backup my iphone" option which will then do a backup to iCloud but you require the space to do this which costs.

If you friend hasnt backed up her iPhone then most likely the pictures are lost, if they had been uploaded to iCloud then they will have been synced with all devices including that iPhone. It is worth checking on a PC / MAC but she will be lucky.

NOTE: Apple always state that devices should be backed up before doing anything to them :S as an IT Guy i know this is very true as you never know what could happen.

I have done it myself thought a backup of my iphone was taken then synced it with a new MAC and lost all my contacts and media will never do that again!

From what I can gather, she didn't have her own user account on their PC and as such may have been sharing an itunes account with her husband, epic fail. She's going to Apple in MK today.

I don't know anything really about icloud. I have a Mac Book which I use for the net and our main PC holds my itunes account for my ipod. All my photos are on a hard drive. That's it. Santa may be bringing me an iphone so I shall have a look at icloud, however, I hear about too much stuff lost for my liking so not sure what's going on, whether it's user error and not backing-up properly or bugs.

Can you not deactivate icloud, Bas?

If you go into the settings on your iphone there are some for iCloud simply turn it off.

I activated iCloud on my iPhone. After realising it actually wasn't all that I turned it off. And all my contacts disappeared. Turned iCloud back on in phone settings and contacts came back. So it looks like I'm a slave to iCloud now ;)

Also, the wireless sync never seems to work - the sync now button is always greyed out?

I activated iCloud on my iPhone. After realising it actually wasn't all that I turned it off. And all my contacts disappeared. Turned iCloud back on in phone settings and contacts came back. So it looks like I'm a slave to iCloud now :(

Also, the wireless sync never seems to work - the sync now button is always greyed out?

not too sure why your wireless sync doesnt work mine works fine, but i am using a MAC so not sure if that has an affect.

well eventually you will be forced to use iCloud as nothing will be stored on the phone permanently. everything is moving to cloud computing hence the reason for apple doing this now. I think once on iCloud it will be hard to move away, not sure if they have a migration tool to export information from the iCloud onto your computer if you do plan on moving away but im sure there will be a way to do it.

I've realised why my iTunes wifi sync won't work. You first have to check the box when connected to iTunes via fixed line.

Given that iTunes won't recognise my iPhone so I can check that box, I'm stuffed.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - nothing.

It's now driving me MENTAL :strop:

I never had a single problem until I upgraded to iOS 5 and iTunes 10.

Yea I do know a few people on pc that have had issues but on mac works perfect :s show apple only concentrate on their own stuff.

Being tied to any online service (Siri as an example of the need to be online - and 'cloud services') is a bad idea until we get a decent signal everywhere. I will stake a years wages on this and say there will never be a decent signal everywhere within my lifetime.

And even having a decent signal doesn't guarantee the ability for data to flow across it (and I'll stop here before I launch into a 2k word rant).

So at the moment, having any device that relies on 100% uptime, is a bad idea. The infrastructure just isn't ready for it.

Being tied to any online service (Siri as an example of the need to be online - and 'cloud services') is a bad idea until we get a decent signal everywhere. I will stake a years wages on this and say there will never be a decent signal everywhere within my lifetime.

And even having a decent signal doesn't guarantee the ability for data to flow across it (and I'll stop here before I launch into a 2k word rant).

So at the moment, having any device that relies on 100% uptime, is a bad idea. The infrastructure just isn't ready for it.

yes that is very true, I think the way apple currently work it is that a local copy is kept but if settings for iCloud are turned off then the device has all its data removed that is stored on iCloud, eventually we will get there it will just take time.

I think that signal will be everywhere and i bet it wont be long just think 10 / 15 years ago you were lucky if you got a signal out of any major city, now your unlucky if you hit a blackspot and this is usually down to a pilon being damaged by vandals. 10 / 15 years more i think we will be there in terms of signal nearly everywhere.

I think that signal will be everywhere

I have to disagree. I'm one of the lucky people to live in one of the most beautiful areas in the country but the very thing that makes it that way is problem. Add the low population count into the mix and it becomes very uneconomical for providers to serve some areas. Even Airwave has far too many no-signal zones for its own good.

Sorry for the thread tangent.

One of my pictures from my Flickr account.

post-22161-0-70276100-1321006959_thumb.jpg

Edited by Javioli