looking at new car - Corsa VXR Nurburgring

Marty McFly1546081284

Looking at getting the New Corsa VXR Nurburgring (pictured is the OPC, basically the european version as opel and vx are part of gm and ship almost identical models, only difference is the badges and its driver side is opposite, the vxr looks the exact same but i couldn't find pics of it in black );

0201271255005.jpg0201271255001.jpg

just looking for a bit of advice really, with the metallic black paint and touch screen entertainment/sat nav system it comes to a Final RRP (incl. VAT) of £23,540, i've got a quote of of just south of £20 grand brand new from a dealer, its currently 0% financing with a £600 deposit contribution from vauxhall... i think its a pretty good deal, however has anyone actually driven one and whats it like, is it worth the money? also, anyone been given cheaper quotes?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marty McFly1546081284

• Mdon

• Merlin820

• ataylor0

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been in a VXR but my mate has a standard (same shape) corsa, nice solid feel inside (better than most hatchbacks) and handles very well from what I've seen, he throws it into corners I woudn't dare to in my car.

Good looking motor too.

Edited by Million

I have driven one a few times, a mate of mine has two :whistle: one is a standard VXR, the other he's really played around with and it's had a lot of custom parts and engine upgrades added. It even gets all the way to 70mph!

Only thing I don't like about vauxhalls on the whole is the horrible seats. I get a terrible back ache after even 10 minutes as a passenger and it's worse for me as a driver. However the VXR has a nice set of recaro's, not brilliant for long distance but they do really keep you planted in position!

Friend of mine who is a driving instructor was telling me that the clutches on Corsa's are expensive to replace, because of the dual mass fly wheel. Then again, your not going to have a bunch of 17yr old numpties riding the clutch.

I like the Corsa VXR, but it looks abit too much like the ordinary Corsa.

What do you think of the Renault Clio Cup 200? Maybe you should test drive as many hot hatches in your price range as you can, and then make a decision on which suits you the best :whistle:

• Like 1

You would be much better off with a Clio 197/200.

They are barely an more expensive about £300 more new and have a much better Chassis, more power, less torque but not enough to notice.

I've been reading comparisons between the 2 the last couple of days.

23k for a corsa???? i've just nearly fell on the floor! thats Audi/VW money!!! why not go for something like a Skoda VRS or something?

• Like 2

Friend of mine who is a driving instructor was telling me that the clutches on Corsa's are expensive to replace, because of the dual mass fly wheel. Then again, your not going to have a bunch of 17yr old numpties riding the clutch.

What do you think of the Renault Clio Cup 200? Maybe you should test drive as many hot hatches in your price range as you can, and then make a decision on which suits you the best :whistle:

the numpty comment is completely unnecessary...

23k for a corsa???? i've just nearly fell on the floor! thats Audi/VW money!!! why not go for something like a Skoda VRS or something?

spot on mate, i was thinking that. a golf GTI will set you back about the same and it is of much better build quality

As above, £23k for a CORSA!

I paid £18k for a 12 month old BMW!

You would be much better off with a Clio 197/200.

They are barely an more expensive about £300 more new and have a much better Chassis, more power, less torque but not enough to notice.

I've been reading comparisons between the 2 the last couple of days.

What do you think of the Renault Clio Cup 200? Maybe you should test drive as many hot hatches in your price range as you can, and then make a decision on which suits you the best :blu:

i was thinking about the clio, but i just think it looks kind of cheap inside, the VXR isnt exactly an aston martin inside but it looks too similar to my mums clio interior from ten years ago, maybe thats just me :vom: and the nurburgring has more power and even more torque, it gets a boost from 189bhp on the standard VXR to 202bhp, clio is 197bhp

its more from the upgrades point of view, there are quite a few upgrades over the standard Corsa VXR but for the price im getting considering they include Limited Slip Differential, Brembo's and the bhp increase while keeping the lifetime warranty

there's also the fact that ( i think this is the reason, from what i read on vxr forums) since its a brand new model the insurance hasnt been properly adjusted even though its already been released, i.e. quote for me on standard VXR £4000, VXR nurburgring £1000 using the same insurer, the guy on the phone had to double check through the bhp etc as he couldn't understand how the more powerful car was 3k less :w00t:.. so i'm getting all the upgrades in warranty at a decent price and £3000 on the insurance, which if im being honest is the biggest reason :evil:

Edited by andyfofo

What do you think of the Renault Clio Cup 200? Maybe you should test drive as many hot hatches in your price range as you can, and then make a decision on which suits you the best :w00t:

Funny you mention that as my mates clutch burnt out a few weeks ago, was quoted anywhere between £500-1000 to have it sorted, and that was by a family friend who wasn't charging for labour.

Edited by Million

Sorry andyfofo but I would rather walk than pay anywhere near 23k for what is basically a cheap nasty supermarket trolly car. I would much rather have the 1.4t Audi a1 if I was after a small nippy car.

In my old job we used to have a contract with vauxhall so our works cars were always corsa the last one being a 09 plate before I left and they are not good cars at all.

i was thinking about the clio, but i just think it looks kind of cheap inside, the VXR isnt exactly an aston martin inside but it looks too similar to my mums clio interior from ten years ago, maybe thats just me :vom: and the nurburgring has more power and even more torque, it gets a boost from 189bhp on the standard VXR to 202bhp, clio is 197bhp

its more from the upgrades point of view, there are quite a few upgrades over the standard Corsa VXR but for the price im getting considering they include Limited Slip Differential, Brembo's and the bhp increase while keeping the lifetime warranty

there's also the fact that ( i think this is the reason, from what i read on vxr forums) since its a brand new model the insurance hasnt been properly adjusted even though its already been released, i.e. quote for me on standard VXR £4000, VXR nurburgring £1000 using the same insurer, the guy on the phone had to double check through the bhp etc as he couldn't understand how the more powerful car was 3k less :w00t:.. so i'm getting all the upgrades in warranty at a decent price and £3000 on the insurance, which if im being honest is the biggest reason :evil:

Aha, good point.

But what use is power if it cant get round a corner properly :blu:

Kidding, but ona 5thGear review the reviewer said the Clio felt alot more planted in corners and a lot stiffer.

But it is all personal preference.

Aha, ok fair enough.

Oddly, i was quoted only £3,200 for a 197, and im only 19.

Which i was seriously considering i found one for only around 7.5k.

But then i realised that was a bad idea and got a 1.4.. which is still 2k to insure... smiley_strop.gif

Thieving wotsits...

Edit: interior comment... True. All the dashboards especially look the same. New and Old.

Edited by ataylor0

Aha, good point.

But what use is power if it cant get round a corner properly :blu:

Kidding, but ona 5thGear review the reviewer said the Clio felt alot more planted in corners and a lot stiffer.

But it is all personal preference.

Aha, ok fair enough.

Oddly, i was quoted only £3,200 for a 197, and im only 19.

Which i was seriously considering i found one for only around 7.5k.

But then i realised that was a bad idea and got a 1.4.. which is still 2k to insure... smiley_strop.gif

Thieving wotsits...

the LSD does help with the (lack of) cornering apparently :w00t:

yeah from what i've read the clio is supposedly more "fun" and "real" to drive , if only it had the interior it would be a winner, but unfortunately convincing my girlfriend to step into what she calls a "chav mobile" is hard enough with a half decent interior, i fear the clio would be a losing battle :vom:

well oddly enough, this has all come about from getting quotes on my current 77bhp car, which was actually MORE expensive than the burg (with almost 3 times the power, turbo, etc) with that same insurer (i wanted a VXR as my first car, but the insurance was far too high, almost £12 grand when i passed so i thought i'd wait), i don't know why since the standard VXR is £4000, but my quote is valid till december so being 19 and getting £1000 on 1.6 turbo 200bhp VXR with no ncb... i can't complain :evil:)

Sorry andyfofo but I would rather walk than pay anywhere near 23k for what is basically a cheap nasty supermarket trolly car. I would much rather have the 1.4t Audi a1 if I was after a small nippy car.

In my old job we used to have a contract with vauxhall so our works cars were always corsa the last one being a 09 plate before I left and they are not good cars at all.

im not paying 23k though, including my options im looking at £19,500 because i qualify for the partners programme... and audi's are incredibly overpriced for their performance, bearing in mind if i wanted an audi a1 that was even comparable (i.e. with the entertainment systems, racing seats, etc.) it would set me back 24k rrp, and its only 180bhp compared to 202bhp, no brembo's, no lsd, no where near as "tuneable" should i want to upgrade my car even further, none of the burg upgrades, i could get a standard corsa VXR which would still be faster than an audi a1 for £16, comparable cars in price range and performance would be clio renaultsport, golf gti, fiesta st when it comes out, abarath punto evo, but the a1 your paying for a badge and slightly higher build quality, the upgrades on the burg push the price up, but doing them on your own would set you back 5/6k easy and take you out of warranty, so there's obvious benefit to the money as you'd be saving yourself quite a bit, i just don't see what im buying for the a1's price, bearing in mind the polo gti (made on the exact same PQ25 platform as the a1 as audi is part of the volkswagen group and basically the same car in a different shape) is only £20k, considering these are both made by the same parent company, same performance - both are 180bhp, same build quality, the 4k price difference only buys you an audi badge

Edited by andyfofo