insurance - claiming.

maka

basically i had my motorbike nicked, recovered but out of what i assume spite and for a laugh they smashed the front of it off and damaged the wiring, so much so id say its a writeoff.

first of all i was shocked i have to pay for it to get it back, or even for it to be disposed of.

basically if i was to do either it would cost my excess.

in reality how much if i claimed do you get back of the premium, sat you were valued at £1000 what kind of costs do they take?

and how badly will my premium go up?

just asking as considering (to massive cost to me, but saving in long run?) simply not claiming it as a full loss and disposing of it myself, buying a cheap one to replace and keeping insurance intact.

only asking as i have not got a clue about procedure in insurance and what they are like unfortunately.

I tell you one thing, it a nightmare trying to claim, 5 or 6 phone calls and im no where near sorting it... it's 0845 numbers too so not even on my call package!!

I tell you one thing, it a nightmare trying to claim, 5 or 6 phone calls and im no where near sorting it... it's 0845 numbers too so not even on my call package!!

Can't help with the insurance questions.... but this should help with the cost of calling them thumbsup.gif

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

basically i had my motorbike nicked, recovered but out of what i assume spite and for a laugh they smashed the front of it off and damaged the wiring, so much so id say its a writeoff.

first of all i was shocked i have to pay for it to get it back, or even for it to be disposed of.

basically if i was to do either it would cost my excess.

in reality how much if i claimed do you get back of the premium, sat you were valued at £1000 what kind of costs do they take?

and how badly will my premium go up?

just asking as considering (to massive cost to me, but saving in long run?) simply not claiming it as a full loss and disposing of it myself, buying a cheap one to replace and keeping insurance intact.

only asking as i have not got a clue about procedure in insurance and what they are like unfortunately.

If the Bike is a write off then you should get back the CURRENT value of the bike minus your excess. E.g The bike brand new cost £5,000 current value is £1,500 and policy excess is £250 then you will get back £1,250. Your no claims will be affected and if you cancel the policy you will have to pay the remaining years premiums (if you pay monthly). For example, you pay monthly, the policy doesnt expire until December and you cancel it October then you will have to pay October, November and December's monthly installments.

If the bike is not a write off then you will have to pay to have the work done at a garage recommended by the insurance company and then claim the cost back from the insurers, again, minus your excess. So if the work cost £300 and your excess is £250 you will get £50 back, and again, your no claims will be affected for next year.

Edited by Matt24

Can't help with the insurance questions.... but this should help with the cost of calling them thumbsup.gif

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

used that but they have no alternate.

If the Bike is a write off then you should get back the CURRENT value of the bike minus your excess. E.g The bike brand new cost £5,000 current value is £1,500 and policy excess is £250 then you will get back £1,250. Your no claims will be affected and if you cancel the policy you will have to pay the remaining years premiums (if you pay monthly). For example, you pay monthly, the policy doesnt expire until December and you cancel it October then you will have to pay October, November and December's monthly installments.

If the bike is not a write off then you will have to pay to have the work done at a garage recommended by the insurance company and then claim the cost back from the insurers, again, minus your excess. So if the work cost £300 and your excess is £250 you will get £50 back, and again, your no claims will be affected for next year.

I knew that bit a little, it's more what they will charge me next year for claiming! I dont want a sky rocket price. I can understand a rise if it was self fault i.e speeding or other offences, but i'll be paying for someone elses act.

I pay my premiums all in one go, as i'd rather not run the risk of a DD failing and technically insurance not being valid.

If you cancel your policy without claiming, you don't have to pay the full years premium and as you pay in one lump (like I do as it's the best way rather than farting on with DD) you'll get money back.

Also you don't pay any garage costs, all bills go directly to your insurance and you just pay your excess to your insurance company. If it's a total loss they'll pay everything including recovery etc etc and then just give you Market value minus your excess

As for next years premium, it will go up but no one will know by how much, I had a total loss claim back in November 2008 I had 6 years ncd and they took 3 years off me but when I insured my car again with only 3 years ncd it only went up by £40 to £460.

cheers all a bit clearer now, just a pain they are taking their time. probably as it's £10 a day storage! meh.

chase them on break tonight.

• 1 month later...

You could just try running quotes through a compare site, one with a previous claim and one without to compare the numbers. Also some policies have a protected no claims bonus which helps.