Leaving a rental property

Cooper16

I currently live in a rental property. I started my tenancy in May of this year and organised a 12 month term. However I have seen a property that I wish to purchase. The move in date of the property will not be until December. However I am unsure whether I am able to leave my tenancy agreement. I am not sure I understand the terms and conditions.

Is there anybody on here works in property rentals or has any sort of law background around this matter?

(NOTICE: before anyone jumps on the slaughter band waggon, I’ve been on the forum long enough to understand terms and conditions, who I should trust and not etc so please refrain, many thanks)

First stop; try checking your Tenancy Agreement you signed at the beginning of the term. A lot of them have clauses in the that let either the landlord or the tenant end the agreement as long as they give a set period of notice (e.g. 2 months). If that's the case just let your landlord know you intend to move out and want to end the agreement on a specific date. Or just contact your landlord anyway if you can't find anything, they may be willing to let you end the tenancy early anyway if you give them enough notice.

Drop me a PM, I work in Housing.

Need details of the type of tenancy you have and afew other bits. Its likely you are on an assured shorthold tenancy, which is what you want.

[quote

(NOTICE: before anyone jumps on the slaughter band waggon, I've been on the forum long enough to understand terms and conditions, who I should trust and not etc so please refrain, many thanks)

:saint:

First stop; try checking your Tenancy Agreement you signed at the beginning of the term. A lot of them have clauses in the that let either the landlord or the tenant end the agreement as long as they give a set period of notice (e.g. 2 months). If that's the case just let your landlord know you intend to move out and want to end the agreement on a specific date. Or just contact your landlord anyway if you can't find anything, they may be willing to let you end the tenancy early anyway if you give them enough notice.

This is good advice.

Also, what sometimes happens is that when requested landlords will seek a new tenant and you will cover the rent until the new tenant moves in, and the difference in rent. Of course, that doesn't give the landlord much incentive to find a new tenant quickly, or to charge as much rent as you've been paying (since you'll be covering the difference).