Car Servicing

carty23

Hi Guys,

Basically I bought my 04 Corsa in June this year from Lookers with only 24,000 miles on the clock. Having looked at it's service history, the first owner took it for a service every year since he bought it, and is stamped by vauxhall for 2004-2008. But when the new owner bought it in 2008, he no longer carried on with the servicing. Since buying the car, I've done 6,000 miles in it and would ideally like to start with the servicing again.

My question is, where would you recommend and which service? I ideally want to stay clear of local garages that offer servicing as ones near me don't really have a good reputation (my dad has first hand experience of their 'service'). The main 3 seem to be: Vauxhall, Kwik fit or Halfords. Having looked at Vauxhall's price, it's not really healthy for my wallet until next year (I think it was something around £249 for a full service). Kwik fit offer a full service for £145 and Halfords are offering a 67 point check (full service) for £160.

Has anyone used either Kiwk Fit or Halfords for a Service? Or would you recommend just sticking to Vauxhall?

Is it worth having a full service or just an interim service?

Many thanks in advance guys ;)

*Edit: There seems to be a lot of negative reviews about Kwik Fit on the internet*

Edited by carty23

I'd shop around a bit more, a full service for a corsa should be about £100.

It's also worth checking, if you got warranty with the car, if there are any servicing conditions.

Halfords bought Nationwide Auto centres, ive used them before and were pretty decent.

Also if you can find a decent garage that you can trust you might aswell stay clear of the main stealers. They charge more for the same thing.

Only time i would not do this is if there was not such a large gap in the service plan i would say carry on with the main dealer for the re sale value (looks better with full dealer service if you do decided to sell) make sense?

The servicing book for your car should tell you if you need a full service or an interim service.

I would ask people who live nearby where they take their cars, there must be at least one garage near you that is ok, you will be paying alot more if you take it to one of the 3 you mentioned. I would steer well clear of kwikfit, they charge loads and employ barely trained monkeys.

I've just Kwik-Fit because they do a combined MOT and Service package which was reasonable together, but their services arn't the cheapest. Ignore the main dealers - despite them being main dealers, knowing mechanics that work for them, They have a vested interest in you buying a new car, and don't do a very good job - often not bothering to replace parts they've charged you for. And charging twice the price in the process.

A comparison between a main dealer - I have just bought a part that I need fitting to my car. I called my local garage who I use regularly and was told it will take 1/2 day work. and so be between £100 and £150 to fit - i thought this was a bit steep - so I phoned Ford as a comparison... They told me 3 hours- so I thought ooo..

What they THEN told me was their labour rate is £90 per hour - And I know for a fact again from a Mechanic working for a main dealer the Mechanics are paid roughly the same as they are in my small garage - so the dealer is making a killing on that!

You can't trust many, but certainly don't go to Kwik-Fit!

My advice would be to find a local independent or even a mobile mechanic, these are generally honest and decent.

Even better invest in a Haynes manual and some good quality, basic tools and do it yourself. You will save a fortune :whistle:

PS - at only 6,000 miles since the last service, I'd be inclined to leave it another 4,000 at the least. And even then, probably will only need an oil and filter change. Not sure on the specific intervals for your car but spark plugs, lead, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter etc are probably much longer intervals.

Edited by adslegend

I do appreciate that you are trying to build up a FSH, but to be honest with a car of that age I would service it myself rather than take it to Kwik Fit or Halfords and have them fit 5 new tyres, brake pads, an exhaust, a new battery and a set of wiper blades every time I took it in for a service.

I used Kwik Fit for an MOT after receiving a voucher with my car insurance. That was fine. We then had services done on both cars and weren't impressed, both cars had timing out when they were fine previously. I can't get technical as I don't really understand but they weren't right.

We now use a local garage although he is a good friend of a good friend and we have had no problems with him at all. I think if you can find a local garage with a good reputation you're sorted.

Having worked in two Ford and one Volvo dealership, being bigger doesn't necessarily make them any good, and very expensive to boot.

Ask around your mates, see who they use. Or have a look on your local trading standards listing.

I do appreciate that you are trying to build up a FSH, but to be honest with a car of that age I would service it myself rather than take it to Kwik Fit or Halfords and have them fit 5 new tyres, brake pads, an exhaust, a new battery and a set of wiper blades every time I took it in for a service.

Not as easy as it once was Rocket with the way that engine's are packed away these days.

I remember my Dad spending hours on my '79 Mini, an engineer by trade, he was in his element while I was waiting to go out somewhere!

Thanks all for your individual inputs - I will certainly take your comments on board!

I think I will leave the service until I need to MOT it (March) because I get a bursary from my uni for around £470, so at least if anything does need doing I'll have at least £250 spare and then the rest can come from my wage. Me and my family are in the process of moving house from Merseyside to the Midlands so I may well find a good local garage with a good reputation down there.

I will also stay away from Kwik Fit - thanks for the heads up :lol:

Sounds like all the good advice has been given already - what I'd say is your car shouldn't have to have some kind of service for any less than 10,000 miles or a year and that local independents are the way to go, but as the car gets old you might like to do servicing yourself as it's really easy, anyone can learn how to do it with little effort and all you do is keep the receipts and sign the service book yourself! :unsure:

On the subject of independent garages, there's a lot of variety in them by themselves - there's two within a few miles of me (I live in the countryside) and one is an old chap by himself and the other is a fair size operation for a rural garage. The chap by himself charges considerably less than the other one as he's got no accreditation and only has enough electronic kit to do an MOT or read the simplest fault codes and so will only deal with simple cars, but the other can deal with the most complicated of electronic systems (and unlike a dealer who couldn't be bothered to track a fault, they'll trace a fault to the exact cause!).