Lost item now Stolen - what can I do

suzann-zan

Hi

I wondered if anyone would be able to help me with this.

My husband last Friday lost his watch at a hospital, we were only there for around 40 minutes, the loss was discovered within half hour of leaving and we called / were back on site another 30 minutes after that. We left messages / spoke to the department we were in, other departments in the area, the general office and security and nothing had / still has been handed in.

We believe the pin on the strap must have broke and dropped somewhere without us hearing so it would be obvious it was lost to anyone finding it - since when does anyone knowingly place a watch of sentimental value on the floor!

We placed an advert in the local paper on Saturday stating it was lost and a reward would be offered for its safe return to which we received a text asking who we were and that they had found our watch. We asked for details of the watch they found to check it was ours to which they text us back saying they had sold it on for £100.

They have sent a few messages 'claiming' to be trying to get it back but have now gone quiet and stopped answering.

The watch is registered as stolen with the police / registermythings.co.uk and we obviously have the mobile number of who is claiming to have found and sold the watch but we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

We have so far been told by the police that due to Data Protection they cannot trace the owner of the phone. (They have checked their 'flint?' records and nothing came up). All they could do was leave a message then barr the number if there was no reply.

Is this right??? Seriously, how in the world of justice can someone find a watch, sell it, text the owner admitting they found it and sold it on and get away with it scott free??? This is penalising victims of crime as they clearly did not make any 'reasonable effort' to locate the owner before selling the watch on - they found us easy enough in the paper the next day when advertised and made no attempt to hand to the police so this is THEFT.

It seems the crimal is protected and tough luck to the victims! What can we do???

Thank you

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Contact the police for advice, this a SPECIAL CONSTABLE FORUM. Make sure you read the non-emergency number.

Any extra details you can provide, like mobile contact number of person, name and address, anything that will be relevent.

In this day and age, people do pick up things and if no-one is around to claim them, they do often keep them. In certain circumstances its a crime.

Also from your story, bare in mind the person could have not even bothered to call you and you would have been indifferent. So be grateful for that atleast.

Apologies for being in the wrong place - this is a genuine mistake and I have contacted the administrators to make arrangements for my registration / subscription to be cancelled.

I do however find the reply a little rude - to say that I should be grateful to have been texted by the person who found and sold the watch on is unfair. They have committed a crime in selling on property without the owners consent and without taking 'reasonable' steps to finding the owner, they have admitted the crime in texts to us and yet it feels like nothing can be done. I believe common law says that if the item is clearly lost (as it was) they should take reasonable steps to contact the owner and / or hand it in to the appropriate authorities. They proved they could have easily found the owner as they did within 30 hours of the loss ocurring but they had sold it by then. Pity they didn't think to try to find the owner before they sold it. It just really seems unfair and us as the criminal seems to be protected by the law not the victims.

Apologies again for being in the wrong place it really was not my intention, only wanted a little help. I am sure my account will soon be de-registered.

Thank you & Regards

S

If the person sending you the message has indeed found your watch and then sold it on then yes, it is theft.

However, tracing them from a mobile number will be particularly difficult if they are using an unregistered PAYG phone; basic checks will be carried out and then a crime number issued to you. Unfortunately there is very little in the way of evidence to be investigated and your complaint will be filed.

It seems the crimal is protected and tough luck to the victims! What can we do???

If you happen to find the watch in a second hand shop or eBay and you are 100% able to identify it as yours then the matter will be reopened and investigated further, I hope this helps.

It just really seems unfair and us as the criminal seems to be protected by the law not the victims.

How is the criminal protected by the law? Have you actually even reported it to the police?

This is a Special constable forum based on recruitment.

How is the criminal protected by the law? Have you actually even reported it to the police?

Is it? I thought it was a forum for Specials, regular officers and anyone who would like to join to discuss any (reasonable) subject under the sun. I thought there was a thread within the site to discuss recruitment

This question was posted in the "Help Me" > "Everything Else" thread

Edited by Killicksparker

On the information given it is a crime and it should be investigated. There are numerous avenues that can be taken:

1. Check if the phone number is known to any police information systems

2. Contact the service providor and find out if it is registered to anyone

3. See if there is any CCTV on the ward (this is limited value)

It is nonsense that they can't check who the phone is registered to due to Data Protection. Certainly, they can't tell you who the phone is registered to - but there is an exemption under data protection laws for police investigating crime.

Well, recruitment is certainly one aspect of the site, but with the best will in the world I wouldn't say that it was the main focus of the site.

This question was posted in the "Help Me" > "Everything Else" thread

In fairness, the question was originally posted in General Discussion, it was only moved to here.

However, as the question has now been answered, to the best of our ability at least.

Thank you to all the members who've contributed.

closed.jpg