Road Legal Quad bikes are they a car or a bike?

Citizen1546081298

Hi all,

My Head Chef was asking me about Quad Bikes, assuming that because I own a Motorbike, I must know about Quads lol He's interested in buying one, and was asking me if He'd need a bike licence or if he could ride one on his Car licence. And if there were any other restrictions regarding them.

I said I'd ask on here for him, so here I am.

I don't know when he passed his test if that makes any odds, he's 28 and has a Full UK Car licence, but No Motorcycle licence.

Thanks all in advance for any help, I'll keep googling and searching government and DVLA websites, but if anyone's got the knowledge to hand I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Citizen1546081298

• callsign-kid

• eebs1546082813

• BlueBob

a guy down at my lifeboat station has one, he told me you can use it on a car licence and no helmet required... as long as it is taxed and insured there shouldnt be any restrictions. dont take this as golden as this it just 3rd party information from my mate :p

• Like 1

Cool, thanks, I knew about the Helmet thing, but thankfully he said he wouldn't ride without one, which I can't say i blame him, I wouldn't. Rick Mayall and Ozzy Osbourne proved why that's important.

They are classed as a quadricycles so neither car or bike. But you can ride one on a substantive car licence. Not sure how it works with provisional licences. They are B1 vehicles (I think). After passing your test you are entitled to B and B1 vehicles. There are no regulations regarding helmets although it is recommended because you can still be sent flying from the machine, and quite a way in a rear end shunt given that you don't have a seatbelt and the mass of the thing is quite minimal compared to even a small car.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I've written it down and I'll give it to him later. He's got a full car licence but I'll tell him to check to see if he has B1 on it. Personally I don't get it, if you want to feel the ride you might as well get a motorbike, but I suppose some people don't like 2 wheels, from the website it seems you can take it on pretty much any road, or at least they didn't say you couldn't take it on motorways, that sounds mental to me, but hey ho. Cheers again, that should answer all his questions. I'll pop back if he has any more that I can't find answers to. +1 to those who helped.

Cheers guys, I've written it down and I'll give it to him later. He's got a full car licence but I'll tell him to check to see if he has B1 on it. Personally I don't get it, if you want to feel the ride you might as well get a motorbike, but I suppose some people don't like 2 wheels, from the website it seems you can take it on pretty much any road, or at least they didn't say you couldn't take it on motorways, that sounds mental to me, but hey ho. Cheers again, that should answer all his questions. I'll pop back if he has any more that I can't find answers to. +1 to those who helped.

If you've got B then you've got B one! I've only ever done my car test and I'm B/B1.

Did a PNC check on a quad last night, and it came back as a Suzuki 4x4, which confused both me and the VL op. A Traffic bod then came up and said that all quads are on PNC as 4x4s. Handy to know

• Like 1

Did a PNC check on a quad last night, and it came back as a Suzuki 4x4, which confused both me and the VL op. A Traffic bod then came up and said that all quads are on PNC as 4x4s. Handy to know

That's pretty cool.

If you've got B then you've got B one! I've only ever done my car test and I'm B/B1.

Fair play, thanks.

He wasn't in today so it'll be Tuesday now as tomorrow is my frankly much needed day off as today was the busiest day in 5 years :) Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the economic downfall. :)

• 4 weeks later...

i think also it depends on the weight and the front axle length.

take for example the Piaggio MP3

pluginmp3hybrid.jpg

The 125 can be ridden on a bike licence, CBT/Provisional too.

the 300cc is ride-able on a car licence due to weight and the wider axles on the front.

• Like 1

i think also it depends on the weight and the front axle length.

take for example the Piaggio MP3

pluginmp3hybrid.jpg

The 125 can be ridden on a bike licence, CBT/Provisional too.

the 300cc is ride-able on a car licence due to weight and the wider axles on the front.

Not quite... It's only the Piaggio MP3 LT that has a slightly wider front track meaning it's classed as a tricycle. The rest of them are all 'motorcycles'.

One day, I might see a quad bike on the road that is actually displaying a front number plate as required by law. One day maybe, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

No quads are fitted with front plates as they don't last long smashing around off road and interfere with air flow to radiators, can say the same about motorbikes. Don't have one on mine and it passes the MOT without issue.

• 3 years later...

No quads are fitted with front plates as they don't last long smashing around off road and interfere with air flow to radiators, can say the same about motorbikes. Don't have one on mine and it passes the MOT without issue.

*facepalm* motorcycles are not required to have front facing number plates.

Eebs, you okay? You've gone motorcycle-thread-reply crazy!

• Like 1