Do I need to go to A&E

tomspen1546081277

Hey guys. I appreciate that most of you probably aren't med professionals, but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I got bitten by a mosquito (I think) about a week ago and since then I've had a huge lump on my leg (about the size of my palm) with what I think is dead skin in the centre (black substance with something oozing out). I decided to go to the walk in centre today to see what it was and the doc told me that it was pretty obviously a serious infection. It's painful all the time, with it being swollen and inflamed. It especially hurts when I walk. He prescribed me a seven day course of Flucloxacillin 500mg and told me if it didn't clear up I should go to A&E and get it drained.

Since I've took them though I was short of breath when I was walking around, and I've felt really cold and then quite hot, with my eyes stinging a bit. The pain has increased and is sensitive over a substantial part of my thigh. I don't know if it is me over reacting or whatever though. What I want to know is if it's worth my time going to A&E to get it checked over, or should I just sit it out and carry on with the course of antibiotics?

Any help is appreciated by the way.

Yes, worth getting checked again definitely if after nearly a week you're suffering changes in temperature.

The fact you're worried enough or in enough pain to ask the question makes me think you know you need to go! Go get your tax-paying money's worth out of the NHS, it's a more genuine recent that the drunks we leave there on a regular basis!

Hope it's nothing serious :D

• Like 2

I recently had these symptoms after taking that exact anti biotic, it may be nothing, but you can never be too safe, get to A&E and get there sooner rather than later, it'll be mad busy on a Saturday night.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully there won't be too many drunks there when I get there. Cheers.

As the others have said, get it checked as soon as possible.

I am presuming the bite was from an English mozzie and not a foreign one?

I had a fun few days going through Malaria checks after having symptoms, being told I had it and then 2 days late being told it was a false alarm huh.gif

None of us are medically trained as far as I am aware, however, if this is troubling you after such a length of time - and clearly it is - get to your doctor or A&E. At the very least call that NHS helpline thing whatever it is. I know why you are reluctant, I would be the same and I would sit and suffer too and be thinking 'if it's not better by tomorrow perhaps then'. But something isn't quite right is it.

Go get your tax-paying money's worth out of the NHS

No. You only go when things are bad enough to be seen, not to get your 'money's worth'.
it's a more genuine recent that the drunks we leave there on a regular basis!

Hope it's nothing serious

There I will agree.

ring NHS direct and get their advice...

T0845 4647

No. You only go when things are bad enough to be seen, not to get your 'money's worth'.

:D

And I thought tax was a 'use it or lose it' monthly credit thing!

.....I was kidding David. Though it's funny how the hard-working amongst us hesitate to use services for fear of wasting someone's time or money, whilst those who don't contribute at all seem more than happy to milk it despite there being far more needy people out there.

But thats a topic for another day!

Thank you all for your help.

I went to A&E and strangely I was the only one waiting so I was in within 2 minutes. Doc said that I may have had an allergy to what I've been given or it's just that because the infection is so big I'd had a bit of a turn. But anyway he prescribed me some other drugs and said that if Flucloxacillin doesn't work or if I am allergic to it then I can just go to the pharmacy and get this other one. Bit of Ibuprofen works wonders too.

If I'd have left it a day or two longer I would have needed 'minor surgery' to drain it all. Glad that didn't happen (yet) :p

Edited by tomspen

Glad to hear it Tomspen, hope you make a full recovery! :p

Never be afraid to ask if you're concerned. We only get one of each body part, they're worth looking after. :D